'Falkor', an Adla 30 Bluewater Steel Boat For Sale
Falkor at anchor
We (a family with two kids) bought Falkor in spring 2015 from the first owner.
We were looking for a solid bluewater yacht. Falkor convinced us with its space and its thought through layout. We got a lot of boat on 9.40 m length. Add to that the seaworthiness that she proved in five Atlantic crossings.
You can find more pictures and an expose in English and German on Falkor's for sale page found at www.bluewatersailboatforsale.com.
And as we are currently still living on the boat, so you can see up to date pictures on Sherrie's Instagram site at https://www.instagram.com/sherriemccarthy/.
The hull was built by the German boatyard Bauwerft Adolf Laux. The interior was professionally done in robust quality by the previous owner. It was built for longevity and practical usage.
The layout with a aft cabin makes for a lot of living room for a 31 feet boat.
Falkor can be sailed single-handed without a problem. I did so for hundreds of miles.
Falkor has lived up and beyond our expectations. We sailed her from the Baltics through the English Channel to the Atlantic Coast. From there via France and Spain to Portugal. We crossed the Atlantic in fall 2017. Since then we are sailing in the Eastern Caribbean.
We always felt safe and have never had doubt in our boat. Since we live permanently on the boat we use it daily and thus maintain and replace gear whenever needed.
Our kids are growing constantly but Falkor is unfortunately not. Since we want to live on a boat long term Falkor is getting slowly but surely too small for us. That led us to the difficult decision to sell our beloved boat.
The boat is built very solid and ready for bluewater cruising – not only on the 'coconut route'. Due to its insulation and heating she can also be sailed in colder climates. Falkor has a solid, thought through interior. There is no noise while sailing which happens on many modern construction boats. The main color is white with brown wooden strips. This makes for a bright and friendly interior.
The sail layout with its two furlers gives a lot of flexibility. The rig is solid with a Selden mast.
The engine is from Bukh – a boat diesel that is also used in rescue boats due to its reliability. These qualities made Falkor the right yacht for the big trip. We knew she could take us anywhere.
Falkor is in a good condition and can be taken right away to the next destination. No noteworthy rust. Falkor is ready for the next adventure.
Rig & Sails
Falkor has a Sloop rig with two furlers (genoa und jib) that can be operated from the Cockpit. Each front sail comes with its whisker pole for downwind sailing.
The big Genoa is our 'work horse'. We often use only that sail which is out in a few seconds. It is brand new, we replaced it in 2018.
The mainsail has a conventional reefing system with 3 reef points.
The foresails have built in UV protection, the mainsail comes with a sail cover.
Falkor has a semi long keel with a massive 10 mm bottom plate. The keel is filled with lead. The robust rudder has three hinges and a skeg. It is operated with a tiller. The hull is in good condition without noteworthy rust. It was primed with a 2 component primer on the inside and outside directly after sand blasting.
Motor & Electrics
Falkor comes with a Bukh DV 24 engine, built in 1999 with about 3600 hours. The Danish Bukh engines were specifically developed as ship engines and are often used in rescue boats. They have a reputation of reliable, robust engines. We have never had a problem with our engine.
The engine setup was designed with ease of maintenance in mind. The engine is accessible from the front, top and behind. The oil change can be done with ease due to a pump that empties motor and gearbox. The seawater pump has a see through top, the state of the impeller can be checked without opening the pump.
Between the gearbox and the shaft is a Python drive. It avoids axial pressure on the gearbox and makes the setup robust against alignment problems.
Falkor has a center cockpit with a cabin in the back. The interior is white with wooden strips. This makes it bright and spacious. The height is 1.83 m, in the front 1.77 m.
The floor is covered with wooden boards, the dry bilge allows for storage.
Sleeping: There is a classic triangle bed in the front. It is suitable for one adult or two children. The mattresses are covered with waterproof lining. A big hatch (Lewmar Offshore 50x50 cm) gives air and light.
Going aft you find 2 beds (1,90 m). They come outfitted with lee cloths and are the best place to sleep at sea.
The aft cabin is under and behind the cockpit. There is plenty of space to sit up in the head area. The bed area is spacious (1.40 m x 2.00 m) The aft cabin can be accessed from the inside and via the back hatch which also provides lots of fresh air.
The bathroom contains a pump toilet with holding tank and direct sea outlet. The holding tank can be emptied at sea. The toilet is higher than the water level and thus prevents sinking due to an open sea valve. The bathroom contains a cabinet with lots of room and is also home for the Diesel day tank which is easily accessible.
The Navigation table is designed as a stand up table. This allows for plenty of storage with a big chart compartment and deep drawers. They contain kitchen utensils, spare parts and tools. The walls hold several electronic instruments such as GPS, AIS etc. See equipment list for full specs.
• Selden mast and boom in white;
• sail furler Harken, for genoa;
• sail furler ProFurl, new 2013 for jib;
• 2 x whisker pole for downwind sailing;
• standing rig in 7mm;
• LED tricolore / anchor light, DHI approved;
• 2 x LED deck lights (front and aft);
• Windpilot Pacific wind steering, 2. wind vane and rudder as spare parts;
• outboard storage holder;
• bathing ladder;
• bimini / sun sail;
• fixed windows for spray hood;
• spray hood;
• closed cockpit cover;
• very sturdy winter cover.
Navigation, nautical equipment:
• GPS, Handheld-GPS;
• passives AIS;
• UKW weather fax;
• short wave / long wave receiver;
• laptop holder;
• power plugs 220 V shore power / 220 V board power at navigation station;
• WiFi Repeater (Ubiquiti Bullet) and 12 Volt Wifi Router (Fritzbox).
Engine & Electrics
Last service: summer 2018:new shaft sealing, new impeller, new top;
• Bukh DV 24 engine with 24 hp, new in 1999, about 3600 hrs;
• fix installed hand operated oil pump for engine and gear oil –> fast oil change;
• displays for oil pressure, temperature, rpms;
• engine clock;
• hand start possible;
• the seawater cooling pump features a see through top and allows therefore to control the state of the impeller without disassembly;
• connection gearbox – propeller shaft: Phython Drive: no vibrations, misalignment, axial pressure form propellor to gearbox;
• greasing of stuffing box can be operated very easily through remote grease press;
• separate engine bilge;
• engine easily accessible from top, front and back;
• 70 l main tank / 40 l day tank located above engine with electrical diesel pump 12 V / 220 V power;
• batteries: 1 starter battery, 2 house batteries (2x70Ah);
• separation between engine battery and house bank;
• 220 V battery charger Trident (can load up to 3 independent banks);
• inverter Victron 12 V to 220 V, 250 Watt (new 2018);
• power plugs 220 V shore power at navigation station, galley, bathroom;
• battery monitor BM1.
• rigid dinghy with safe storage before mast;
• can be rowed or operated with a small outboard;
• lug sail rig;
• rudder with tiller and centerboard;
• lockable storage under seat;
• sandwich floor with foam core - unsinkable.
• Taylor petroleum / kerosene cooker, switched to gas 2018, gimballed;
• 40 l petroleum pressure tank with switch off valve, air pump;
• double sink with cover;
• Whale foot pump for drinking water (new 2018);
• Whale foot pump for salt water for pre-rinsing (new 2018);
• 3 drinking water tanks stainless steel: 2x 100l 1x 140l, can be accessed separately, access plates for cleaning;
• watermaker Katadyn E45, 5-6 l / h with spare parts, new membrane 2018, needs service;
• fridge with seawater cooling: no heat in boat.
• Taylor Diesel heating;
• 2 berths with lee cloths, 1.90m long, back rests can be folded up to have a bigger sleeping area.
Asking Price: €29,000 or nearest offer.