'Strummer', a Hinckley Pilot 35 for Sale
(Gran Canaria, Spain)
'Strummer' at anchor
'Strummer' is a Hinckley Pilot 35 that was built in 1967 by the renowned Henry R. Hinckley & Company of Southwest Harbor.Hull
She has been maintained over the last 27 years by her experienced owner, with significant upgrades and improvements such as carbon spars, new mainsail & Harken bat-cars, new Spectra head sails, Max Prop 3-blade feathering propeller, and Cape Horn wind vane self-steering so she could race short-handed and competitively and go transatlantic.
Under new ownership in February 2020, the boat has been given a new engine, bilge pumps, batteries, charger, inverter, autopilot, solar panels, life-raft, AIS, bimini, gas stove, mattresses, tender, chest freezer, solar panels. All valves, prop-shaft, bearing, propeller, stern tube, stern gland, windlass and winches have been serviced or replaced. The carbon fibre spars and rig have been lifted ashore for inspection by a professional rigging company. The yacht has been ashore for 14 months, she is clear of osmosis/hull blisters. All the work was overseen by a yacht surveyor and completed with a June 2020 condition/valuation report.
'Strummer' is offered for sale 'as is where is' in Gran Canaria, Spain.
Type/Model: Hinckley Pilot 35
Current name: STRUMMER
Previous Names: 'Chardonnay', 'Arctic Tern', 'Tourtebelle'
Classification: Yacht - Cruiser/Racer
Builder: The Hinckley Company, Manset ME
Designer: Sparkman & Stevens, New York
Build date / Build no. / Hull no.: 1967 / 3592 / 1222
Flag/Port of Registry: USA/Delaware
Hull ID / Registered Number: DLZ 76900B767 / DL5479AM
Propulsion: Beta Marine Diesel B-30 Tier3 EPA certified (2020)
Length (Deck): 10.90 m (35’ 9”)
Beam: 2.90 m (9’ 6”)
Draft: 1.52 m (5’)
Sail Area (fore triangle): 92.8 sq m
Displacement: 6.12 tonnes (13,500 lb)
Rig: Masthead sloop, Full batten Mainsail, Removable staysail stay & running backstays
Sail Area/Displacement: 15.4
Comfort Ratio: 37.4
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.59
The Hinckley Pilot 35 has a traditional full-length keel with an attached rudder and propeller aperture.
- Flag blue AWLGRIP topsides, white waterline, gold cove stripe;
- Antifouling paint Micron Extra (June 2020);
- Lead ballast w/ shoe thru-bolted to the hull with Everdur bronze bolts;
- Bronze hull fittings and valves (serviced June 2020).
- Awlgrip + non-skid Whisper grey finish for the deck, coach roof & cockpit;
- Varnished toe and handrails, hatches, cockpit coamings, dorade boxes;
- Solid teak forehatch, companionway, lazarette and gas locker hatches;
- 2 cockpit storage lockers, port & starboard;
- 4 fitted closed-cell cockpit cushions;
- Propane gas storage locker, solenoid remote shutoff valve;
- 4 fixed Port lights in Salon, 1 opening port in bathroom;
- Companionway entrance w/ 2 washboards, brass trim for edges;
- EDSON wheel steering pedestal, elk hide-covered wheel compass binnacle, engine controls;
- Binnacle guard, stainless steel, Edson nav instrument panels, table;
- 6 Lewmar self-tailing winches with covers;
- Sprayhood on folding frame;
- Bimini on folding frame.
has a 6-berth layout. Mahogany joinery, varnish finish, teak & holly cabin sole throughout, varnished teak panelling white painted overheads, bronze window frames;
- Fore Cabin: double "V" berth3 fixed portlights, storage shelves, under berth storage. Saloon table storage and companionway bug screen;
- Saloon: 2 pull-out settee berths, 2 pilot berths outboard. Olive green Ultrasuade fabric cushion covers;
- Traditional tiled corner propane cabin heater;
- JVC stereo Bluetooth player (2020);
- Removable varnished mahogany table;
- Bookshelf forward on bulkhead, port side;
- 12 Storage drawers / lockers, port & starboard.
- RARITAN PHEII Marine toilet, electric or manual;
- 16 gal holding tank. SEALAND pump, SCAD tank monitor;
- Stainless steel on Corian surface with hot & cold-water shower mixer;
- Curtain, mirrors, fan, teak grating.
The Galley is runs athwartships and doubles in use for a stand-up Nav Station with the large Corian countertops. There is a chart & publication storage locker located on the starboard side;
Mast, Rigging, Winches
- Dometic 2 burner gimbled propane stove/oven/grill, potholders (2020), All burners have flame failure devices (FSD);
- Gas control panel, separate detector and alarm (2020);
- 3 large storage lockers with sections for secure stowage;
- Hot and cold pressure water and a manual pump;
- Seawater foot pump with sink faucet;
- Self-draining Corian sink set into the worktop;
- Large Corian top ice-chest 7 ½ cu ft (213 litres) stainless steel interior, varnished mahogany storage;
- Original switchboard, radio locker with USB sockets, teak stowage box for binoculars.
- FORTE carbon fibre mast, spreaders and boom, un-stepped & inspected by professional rigger 2019;
- FORTE/FORESPAR carbon telescopic whisker pole, deck stowed;
- SCHAEFER 2100 Jib Furler;
- Removable inner forestay;
- Fully battened North mainsail, slab reefing;
- Hydraulic backstay tensioner;
- Boom vang, s/s spring tensioned;
- HARKEN mainsheet block & tackle system w/ track & ball-bearing car;
- Halyards, topping lift, reef lines led back to cockpit to Spinlock cam cleats;
- Hinckley anti-chafe mahogany shroud rollers;
- 6 LEWMAR self-tailing winches All services – May 2020.
(NORTH & ULMER)
- Mainsail: fully battened, Harken bat-cars;
- Genoa no 1 in blue bag;
- Genoa No 2;
- Storm jib in blue bag;
- Staysail in faded blue bag;
- Asymmetric in blue sock;
- Spinnaker in grey bag;
- Reacher in orange bag.
- RAYMARINE E120 ChartPlotter/PS/Radar;
- JRC DGPS;
- DATAMARINE: depth and speed;
- Tick Tack wireless wind speed/direction;
- ICOM M-402 VHF/DSC;
- AIT 1500 AIS Class B Transponder (2020);
- In-Reach mini Iridium tracker/text messenger (2020);
- TESCUN PL880 radio receiver (2020).
- RAYMARINE EV-1 autopilot, P70Rs control head (2020);
- Bronze quadrant/cable steering, Edson pedestal stainless rudder stock, emergency tiller;
- CAPE HORN “Spray” integrated wind vane steering, 2 rudders.
- BETA Marine B-30, 3cylinder, Tier3 EPA certified (2020);
- Gearbox: TMC 40 2:1 Gearbox (2020);
- Propeller: 3 bladed 15” bronze feathering MAXPROP fully - serviced 2020;
- 1” stainless shaft removed & balanced, split shaft coupling & flexible coupling (2020);
- PPS dripless shaft stern gland (serviced 2020);
- Cutlass bearing replaced, & stern gland restored re-bedded with chock fast (2020);
- Engine control cables Teleflex (new 2020);
- Monel Fuel Tank: capacity: 35 gal (tank cleaned 2020);
- Delco fuel water separator/filter & electric pump (2020);
- Exhaust gas temperature gauge with alarm (2002);
- Freshwater engine service flush valve (2002).
Plumbing and Bilge
- 3 x 12v AGM 90 amp/hr service batteries (new 2020);
- 1 x 12v AGM 90 A/h start battery (new 2020);
- Electrical panel, 12VDC – original;
- Engine alternator 120 amp;
- Xantrex Truecharge 2 40A battery charger (2020), Victron monitor;
- Victron Phoenix 1200watt invertor (2020);
- Lighting: 11 cabin lamps, all LED;
- Solar panels and charge regulator (2020);
- Lopolight series 200 LED masthead tricolour /anchor light.
- Fresh water capacity: 70 USG in 2 stainless steel tanks;
- Pressure hot & cold-water pump and piping (new 2020);
- Manual pump at galley sink;
- Whale foot pump – seawater;
- Cockpit shower hot/cold mixer;
- Hotpot 15lt (4 gal) hot water heater, electric and engine heated (2002);
- Whale Supersub Smart Automatic pump with control switch (2002);
- Whale Gulper 320 12v bilge pump (2020);
- Whale Gusher Titan manual pump located in cockpit;
- Whale Gusher Titan manual pump located in saloon (2020);
- High level bilge alarm (2020);
- WC System: USCG, SEALAND 16gal holding pump and control panel;
- Greywater: Holding tank, 12v sump pump (2020);
- Deck/anchor chain wash-down seawater pump;
- WEMA water and fuel tank level indicator panel.
- IDEAL MCW 12v vertical capstan/windlass foot switch control (serviced 2020);
- 12kg Kobra galvanised HHP anchor (New 2020);
- Heavy-duty stainless-steel chain stopper;
- 100’ 1/4” HT of short-link chain & 200’ of 9/16” 8 plait rode;
- Deck navel pipe & gate for anchor rode feed & storage;
- Stainless steel anchor/chain roller with securing pin;
- 10lb FX16 Fortress deck stowed, chain and ½” 8 plait rode in bag;
- Foredeck LED anchor light 12v (2020);
- Riding sail for when at anchor.
- Cockpit dodger, Cockpit side dodgers;
- Mainsail, helm and binnacle cover;
- Sailcloth 3 battened sun awning;
- Bimini over cockpit and steering;
- Small foredeck awning.