'Teragram', a Swan 40 for Sale
by Clifford Haigh
'Teragram', a Swan 40 #43 from 1972, has undergone continued maintenance by all owners and while in current ownership.
She has been sailed by current owner for the last 6 years as a cruising yacht, both in European and the Americas and is geared for either short handed and single handed use. During this time she has proven several Atlantic crossings while previous owners have sailed with similar usage and as such she has demonstrated her blue-water pedigree and turns heads everywhere she goes.
Documentation for the boat is available to view from her birth and shows ownership throughout along with EU tax paid status.
She benefits from the following key aspects as a cruiser, however although modernised, she retains her classic features and as such could be easily returned to racer/cruiser as all has been done with her classic build in mind:
- Awlgrip Matterhorn white Painted topsides and hull;
- Monitor wind vane with boards and Raymarine tiller pilot adaptation;
- Raymarine Wheel pilot autopilot;
- Cockpit teak;
- 380w Solar Bimini with MPPT;
- Towed generator;
- Wind turbine;
- New keel-cooled Isotherm Fridge 2019;
- Original keel stepped Mast and boom standing rigging varies in age;
- Purpower 35 Watermaker;
- Seagull water filtration;
- Electric toilet with stored manual Raritan (quick changeover);
- North Sails 140% Genoa fully batten Main from 2017;
- Engine Yanmar 3JH3E 2002;
- Max prop 3 blade furling propellor;
- Reupholstered interior 2016;
- Double bunk modification 2018 possible to remove easily to return to singles;
- 7 berth;
- New deck cushions 2018;
- 2000w sine wave charger inverter;
- 330Ah service batteries new 2019;
- Start battery 100Ah 2017;
- Wifi booster;
- Achilles tender with 5hp Tohatsu 2 stroke new 2017;
- Taylor Paraffin Heater;
- Boom Tent New 2016;
- Spares to many to list that have been stocked covering primary systems and auxillary systems;
- Spade 20kg anchor 2018, 90m chain 2018, Lofran Progress windlass;
- Icom M802 SSB with Pactor Modem;
- Icom VHF;
- Iridium Satellite Phone;
- Crewsaver 8 Man Liferaft new 2018;
- Handheld watermaker.
Hull Type: Fin keel with skeg-hung rudder
Rigging Type: Masthead Sloop
Length Overall: 39'4"
Waterline Length: 28'6"
Construction: GRP (Fibreglass)
Ballast Type: Lead
First Built: 1970
Last Built: 1972
Number Built: 51
Designer: Sparkman & StephensDesign Ratios:
Sail Area/Displacement: 16
Comfort Ratio: 38.7
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.6Sailboat-Cruising.com asks:
Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat? If so, click here...