'Wild Goose', a 1982 Tartan 3000
(Grenada, Windward Islands)
Well maintained and extensively upgraded coastal cruiser ready to comfortably cruise the Caribbean. 'Wild Goose'
is a fast and sturdy Sparkman & Stevens design, with a beautiful classic teak interior. Fully outfit and custom improved for live aboard cruising and open ocean passages. 'Wild Goose'
is a perfect pocket live aboard for an individual or duo looking to cruise the Caribbean without the difficult passage from the US or the expense of a larger sailboat. No boat is project free and she is not in “show boat” condition, but she is ready to move aboard or sail hard with minimal input of time and money. She is a solid build that spent the majority of her life in fresh water with limited use, but has recently undergone major refitting and shakedown.
A recently installed oversized battery bank and solar array, ultra efficient refrigeration, and warm LED lighting make power an afterthought, even without the 55 amp alternator. Comforts like climate control, new upholstery, fans throughout, bimini and dodger, a custom teak cockpit table, 1500 watt inverter, expanded water tankage, and wireless internet make for a comfortable live aboard. The Monitor Windvane, new standing rigging, and new oversized ground tackle paired with a sturdy build make her ready for serious cruising.
I am happy to include all the gear, tools, planning materials, interior furnishings, and creature comforts needed for cruising and living aboard which we accrued over our three plus years. Also included is a 8’ hypalon dinghy and 5HP 2-Stroke Yamaha, both in great condition. Potential for delivery option in the Caribbean. Registered in Virginia, all documentation and taxes are current. Open to reasonable offers, but I am not in dire need to sell. HISTORY“Tartan Marine builds fine sailing yachts that provide beauty, performance, seaworthiness, and comfort - now and for many years to come. The Tartan 3000: Sweet lines, the agility of a club racer, and deep water cruising comfort. All in one well balanced design.”
With only four owners, 'Wild Goose'
spent the large majority of her years with limited use on fresh water Lake Norman, North Carolina. She was then stored in a yard for six years prior to the previous owner beginning a refit in 2013. I purchased her in December 2015 and converted her into a live aboard cruiser with a standard of maintenance for extended open ocean passages. Since then I have lived aboard for almost three years and logged over 10,000 sea miles - first single handing and then with my girlfriend. We have cruised the Eastern United States from Maine to Florida, The Bahamas, and the Eastern Caribbean - with many open ocean passages up to 8 days at a time. She is currently stored on the hard at Spice Island Marine, Grenada with monthly guardianage and has been for 8 months. I am unavailable to continue cruising and giving the attention she needs, due to a captain position on a charter yacht in the Virgin Islands.
The continuous and extensive refit over the last 3 years is detailed below, but some notable upgrades include: all new standing rigging and partially new running rigging, new prop shaft & cutlass with lots of engine maintenance, new interior and exterior upholstery, new house batteries & solar, new oversized ground tackle, icebox conversion to refrigeration, all new hose and fittings (black water, bilge, and fuel), 3 new through hulls & seacocks, new bilge pumps, new fuel tank, and new black water tank. There are many, many upgrades and improvements.
Some known issues: shifting and throttle cables are stiff and could use replacing, bottom is in need of stripping and painting, lifelines are original and showing wear, sun cover on genoa needs restitching, mainsail needs restitching, and the engine raw water pump is dripping a bit at shaft.SPECS
Full Displacement Hull, Fin Keel, Skeg Rudder, Masthead Sloop, Single Spreader Rig, Solid Glass Hand Layup below waterline, Cored Deck.
Hull ID: TAR300031M82
Hull #: 31
Builder: Tartan Yachts
Designer: Sparkman & Stevens
Displacement: 7,950 Lbs
S.A.: 441 ft2
Cabin Headroom: 6’ 2”SYSTEMSEngine
- Universal 5411 (#302649)
- 11 HP, 2 Cylinder, Raw Water Cooled, Original (no hour meter). Starts easily with ~10 second glow plug, runs at temp;
- 55A Alternator;
- 2 Blade Fixed Prop. New cutlass, shaft, coupling, and packing in stuffing box. Professionally brazed strut repair;
- New Racor 120 Series primary fuel filter, secondary on engine;
- Recently replaced injectors. Exhaust elbow recently replaced. New thermostat, sending unit, temp gauge. All new exhaust and water hose;
- Spare filters, oil, belts, impeller, and other parts.
- 21 gallons (new, .125” custom aluminum);
- 20 gallons in jerry jugs;
- All new fuel hose and fittings.
- 75 gallons (40g original polyethylene tank to port, 20g original polyethylene tank to starboard, 15g new plumbed in bladder to starboard);
- 12 gallons in jerry jugs, 50’ fresh water hose;
- Jabsco 3.5gpm electric pump, new manual foot pump at galley sink, new crossover pump for isolated starboard tanks to port;
- Wet head shower wand and installed cockpit shower / wash down sprayer.
- 16 gallons (new custom polyethylene type III tank w/ vent, washdown, deck pump out, and macerator pump out);
- Jabsco Twist'n'Lock manual head;
- Jabsco 18590 macerator pump with run dry protection & self priming;
- All new plumbing, hose, and fittings;
- Custom 12v exhaust van built into port window lens.
- Rule Rulemate 1100;
- Rule Rulemate 2000 (independent discharge hose);
- Gibb Henderson MkV Manual Pump;
- Rule High Water Alarm;
- All new wiring and hose.
- North Sails, fully battened, 2 reef points w/ jiffy reefing (original);
- Deployable lazy jacks, Sunbrella sailbag.
- Horizon 150 genoa, Sunbrella suncover, Schaefer roller furling, whisker pole;
- Spare jib ~100, never used by me.
- x2 Lewmar #40 2-Speed with recently replaced wincher self tail conversions (mounted on cockpit coaming, for genoa sheets);
- x1 Lewmar #15 2-Speed (mounted coachroof, for main halyard & reefing);
- x1 Lewmar #6 1-Speed (mounted on mast);
- All lines led aft.
Heating / Air
- Start Battery: x1 lead/acid CarQuest Starting, Group 24;
- House Battery: x3 lead/acid Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle, Group 31, 315AH total;
- Solar Panels: x2 Renogy 12v 100watt monocrystalline, x1 unknown brand flexible 12v 45watt, Morningstar Tristar
- TS-45 charge controller;
- Solar produces enough energy to live aboard indefinitely without running alternator;
- 1500watt inverter (not wired into wall outlets);
- 30a, 110v, 50c shore power with 30’ cable;
- LED lighting throughout (warm white), lots of new 12v wiring.
- Mermaid M-5RC-U: 5,200BTU cooling, 6,400BTU Heating, shore power only.
- Isotherm 2301 compact (icebox conversion, w/ freezer box evaporator);
- Reinsulated with 3” blue foam (runs ~14 hrs/day in tropics, ~8 hrs/day in mid latitudes);
- Icebox / storage lazerette under starboard cockpit.
- HilleRange alcohol 2 burner stovetop & oven;
- Magma grill with replaced regulator and rail mount;
- Deep well sink with foot pump and electric pressure water;
- Lots of customized storage.
- Monitor Windvane (early model with wheel adaption);
- Raymarine ST2000+ Tiller Pilot with attachment to wheel steering (also have spare unit for parts);
- Functioning wheel lock.
- Lowrance Elite 7m GPS;
- Signet SL172 Depth Sounder;
- Signet SL267A Knotlog;
- Signet SL254 Wind Indicator (wind speed and direction);
- West Marine 600DSC VHF (cockpit mounted);
- Cobra HH350 VHF (handheld);
- Alpine stereo with x2 interior speakers, x2 cockpit speakers. Bluetooth receiver for stereo;
- Bad Boy Extreme MJ wifi booster & Asus wireless router;
- Caframo Compact fans throughout x4.
- Primary: Rocna #15 (33lbs), 90’ 5/16” G40 galvanized chain, 150’ 5/8” 3-strand nylon, 15’ 3/4” 3-strand nylon snubber line, high tensile shackles;
- Secondary: Danforth S1600 (25lbs), 30’ 1/2” G30 galvanized chain, 100’ 1/2” 3-strand nylon;
- Customized bow roller and deck pipe with chain lock.
- 2015 8’ West Marine hypalon RIB, aluminum slat floor with inflatable keel;
- 1998 Yamaha 5hp 2-Stoke, new coils and ignition wires, new fuel pump diaphragm, lots of spare parts;
- West Marine telescoping oars, stern anchor, small Danforth with line, all brass locks and stainless cable, double action hand pump.
- New bimini;
- Restitched dodger;
- Coachroof and v-berth sunshades;
- New interior upholstery;
- New polished brass barometer and clock;
- Custom teak cockpit table, cupholders, and GPS mount;
- Sport A Seat cockpit cushions;
- Custom cut 3” memory foam mattress for v-berth;
- Sunbrella covers for brightwork, winches, grill, compass, and port windows;
- Oversized fenders x3, and normal sized fender x3, oversized dock lines;
- Original manuals for boat, engine, transmission, and most systems.