34' dutch Scheldeschouw steel hull
(Beaufort, North Carolina)
At her best
Built in 1973 by a professional boatyard in the Netherlands. The hull is constructed of Corten steel. It is built with a (single) full keel. Decks are fiberglas-covered marine plywood over steel stringers. Cabin sides and top are Mahogany marine plywood. Interior is constructed of african mahogany plywood and mahogany trim.It has as a sloop rig supported by heavy rigging. Equipped with a roller furling jib, it has an additional forestay for a hanked on jib. Lazy Jacks on the main.
The Scheldeschouw is a relatively common traditional/folk boat in the Netherlands.
My wife and I have owned her since 2000, cruising 8 summers in the northern Great Lakes and then cruising full-time for 2 1/2 years in Florida, Bahamas and the East Coast. When we moved to North Carolina our situation was such that we didn’t have as much time to cruise, nor as much time to maintain her, so her cosmetic condition deteriorated as well as a some neglected systems issues. When we first purchased her, I restored and upgraded her over the course of a few years, so I know what she needs, but the time and energy just aren’t there to do it again.
Much deferred maintenance is needed, mainly fairing and repainting the hull and deck and interior and exterior varnishing, with some work needed on systems.
Ultrasonic testing in 2015 confirmed the Corten steel hull to be in very good condition. (Test report available)
My desire is to turn the boat over to someone who can bring it back to life and then enjoy it for years to come as my wife and I have. Based on recent surveys, the boat would have a value of $25,000 to $30,000 when fully restored.
LOA 34’ 4”
LWL 27’ 7”
Beam 11’ 10”
Draft 3’ 10”
Displacement 16,400 lbs
- 36hp Volvo Penta MD3B diesel engine with a 35 gal fuel tank;
- Furuno 1724C radar and GPS chart plotter;
- Hydraulic wheel steering;
- Wired for solar panels with a Blue Sky Charge Controller, but needs new solar panels;
- 1 - marine starting battery, 2 - deep cycle marine house batteries (connections included for one additional house battery);
- 110v multistage battery charger;
- Well insulated icebox with Frigoboat hi efficiency keel-cooler refrigeration;
- 2 burner Force 10 propane stove with oven;
- Stainless steel, solid fuel heater with removable Charlie Noble;
- Hi-efficiency 12v interior lighting;
- 60+ gal freshwater in 2 tanks;
- Large head with shower;
- 35 gal holding tank;
- Sleeps 4 (king sized V-berth + 2 saloon berths.
Located in Beaufort, North Carolina.