Ecume de Mer 26
(British Virgin Islands, Caribbean)
Ecume de Mer, a 26ft cruising boat ready to cross oceans.
1969 model ('First' version);
Year of built 1973;
Capacity max 6 persons;
Can sleep 6 persons;
Boat surveyed at the end of 2017 by a maritime independent surveyor, contact me for full survey document. The boat has barely changed since that survey, except some minor scratches.
I have entirely and profusely refitted the boat in 2017, hundreds of pictures from the refit are available on this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheSailingFrenchman/
And there are lots of videos showing details about the refit on my Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSailingFrenchman
Hull below waterline
Sanding of the hull to bare fiberglass + 1 year drying on the hard on south of France (very dry).
Epoxy treatment of the whole hull (a few little osmosis blisters have been cured, but they were minimal, absolutely not structural. All epoxy and paint used for the refit came from the same company to ensure compatibility, company is specialized in paint and epoxy for yachting, called SICOMIN).
- Keel has been taken down;
- High pressure sanding of the cast iron;
- Epoxy steel treatment of the cast iron;
- Keel mounted back with Sikaflex as sealant;
- All 10 keel bolts changed;
- All the frames galvanized by a professional ironsmith.
All seacocks changed.
Boat is 100% dry, just a few drips coming from the propeller shaft stuffing box (as it should).Hull above waterline
- Hull entirely sanded back to gelcoat;
- 2 layers epoxy undercoat;
- 3 layers 2 parts epoxy paint.
- All deck equipment removed for sanding (literally ALL of it);
- 2 layers epoxy undercoat;
- 3 layers 2 parts epoxy paint;
- 1 layer of nonskid paint.
- All the wooden LISTON removed;
- Deck/hull connection sanded and fiberglassed;
- LISTON mounted back, glued with epoxy and bolted with new stainless steel bolts;
- Everything fiberglassed again;
- Epoxy filling applied for smooth result;
- The final result is perfect, the hull/deck connection is 100% dry.
- Standing rigging changed fall 2017;
- Mast inspected by professional rigger;
- Plastimo furler in perfect working condition;
- Baby forestay to be mounted with adjustable turn buckle (Wichard pelican) to rig smaller weather sails;
- Spinnaker pole.
- Sanded and painted in 2017;
- No leaks whatsoever, boat is 100% dry.
- 3 reefs;
- Old but still in perfect working conditions, can do a season or 2 more;
- Rings to attach travelers replaced in 2018 (stainless rings + leather).
- 3 seasons, still in perfect shape;
- Foam tube along the luff to improve shape when reefed;
- UV proof fabric to be serviced in some spots + pad to be added to protect from wearing on the spreaders.
Jib 1: Brand new, custom made by Elvstrom fall 2017 (for AWS above 25/30kts, to keep pointing up).
Jib 2: Perfect condition, cut high as a yankee (for winds above 35/40kts).
Storm sail: Perfect condition.
Asymetric spinnaker: Old, but still does the job, for up to 15kts TWS, can be rigged on the bowsprit or like a symmetric with the spinnaker pole.Engine
- Yanmar 1GM10 instaled in 2017;
- Starts on first turn of the key, no smoke;
- Cylinder head changed in March 2019 (the previous one corroded due to the direct sea cooling water, replaced by a genuine new Yanmar cylinder head);
- Folding propeller 2 blades;
- Stainless steel diesel tank 60 liters capacity.
All plexiglass hatches and portlights changed in 2017.Electricity:
- All electricity circuits rebuilt from scratch;
- 2 electric panels;
- Engine battery 75ah (starting cycle), domestic battery 210ah (long cycles) both new end of 2017, both still hold charge perfectly;
- 2x100W solar panels + regulator;
- Victron to control battery charge (charges always engine battery first);
- Shore power cable, 2 plugs 220v inside;
- Battery charger;
- Inverter 300W;
- All the boat is equipped with LED (including nav lights and anchor light);
- 12V and USB charger both in the salon and the V berth.
- VHF DSC from 2016;
- Laptop with Open CPN and worlwide charts;
- Depth sounder Raymarine + display, both new in 2017;
- Autopilot Raymarine EV100 (new generation of the ST4000) + display (this pilot has an ACU inside, only the pushrod is outside);
- All the Raymarine Equipment is still under warranty until the end of the year;
- GPS 72h;
- Autoradio HiFi system with 2 waterproof speakers (Fusion) outside and 2 Pioneer speakers inside.
- Offshore equipment (flares, parachutes, smoke cans etc);
- EPRIRB (bought in 2017);
- Offshore liferaft 6 person (to be serviced in June 2019);
- 4 automatic lifejackets 150N equipped with tethers;
- 2 classic lifejackets 150N (the big ugly orange ones);
- 2 classic safety harness with tethers.
- 2 gaz burners mounted on gimbal;
- 11kg fiberglass bottle (with a refilling adaptor I built so you can refill that bottle anywhere in the world);
- Sea water pump;
- Fresh water pump;
- 40L fresh water tank under the galley;
- Possibility to install an 80l fresh water tank under the V berth.
- All inside varnish remade in 2017 (6 layers);
- RM 69 toilets installed. I never used them so probably need to service the seals (60$ for the seals kit);
- Inflatable Kayak 2/3 person as dinghy (brand ITIWIT) + pump and oars.