Skye 51 Ketch
The Skye 51 'Yemaya' is a world voyaging yacht that has completed two circumnavigations. She has been continuously upgraded over the past 7 years to include: electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, stove, navigation, 2 autopilots, led lights, engine rebuild, water maker, roller furling, stainless work, canvas, solar, and removal of the teak deck.
The Skye 51 was commissioned by the John G. Alden Company, designed by the naval architects Kaufman & Ladd of Annapolis and built by Mao Ta Shipyard in Taiwan. Eighteen Skye 51’s were built under the direct supervision of Alden and are highly sought after by world cruisers.
The design was for a “blue water performance cruising yacht” easily handled by a couple and intended for world voyaging. As such, the Skye 51 has been designed, engineered, and built to quality standards comparable with the finest yachts in the world. Few performance cruising designs built today have the exceptional strength, and classic styling that the Skye 51 offers. 'Yemaya' has a spacious sleek open deck, large safe cockpit and wide side decks that make for comfortable and safe cruising.
She is well equipped to continue cruising the world off the grid in style, safety and comfort. Currently docked (June 2021) at Shelter Bay Marina, Panama with all systems maintained. Outside the hurricane belt and within easy reach of the excellent cruising grounds of Bocas del Toro, San Blas Islands, Isla Escudo de Veraguas, Zapatillas etc.
The interior arrangement provides 2 separate en-suite cabins – one aft cabin with a double berth, private shower and head, and one forward cabin with a single bunk over a double berth, also with full head.
The spacious saloon provides 2 secure pilot berths, a U-shaped settee and large dining table. Just aft of the Saloon are the updated galley and navigation station.
Aft of the Master Cabin lies a large walk-in engine room with the renowned 82hp Perkins 4.236 Marine Diesel.
The V-berth/forepeak is easily accessed internally or through a large deck hatch and currently serves as a store for dive tanks (4), dive compressor, 2 fold-up bikes, laundry spin dryer etc.
Her staysail ketch rig allows a variety of sail combinations to suit the conditions. Current owner sails her easily solo or as a couple.
Recent upgrades 2015-2020 (over $100,000) including autopilots, refrigeration, watermaker, standing rigging, ground tackle, safety equipment, dinghy & outboard, battery banks, electronics etc.
Published Specification for the Skye 51:
Hull Type: Long Fin Keel with Skeg-hung Rudder
Rigging Type: Cutter Rigged Ketch (ie a staysail ketch)
Length Overall: 51'0"
Waterline Length: 42'11"
Displacement: 38,708 lb
Ballast: 15,500 lb
Construction: GRP (Fibreglass)
Published Design Ratios for the Skye 51:
Sail Area/Displacement: 17.5
Comfort Ratio: 38.4
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
Sailboat-Cruising.com asks: Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat? If so, click here...Specifications:
Electrical and Navigation
- Accommodation: Sleeps 8 in (2) double berths and (4) single berths.
- Water Tanks: 80 gallons + watermaker (1) 50 gal Nauta Flexible (New 2020); (1) 30 gal stainless
- Fuel Tanks: 104 gallons- (1) 50gal Nauta Flexible (New 2020); (2) 27gal
- Holding Tank: 20 gallons(New 2019)
Engine and Mechanical
- Icom VHF Marine Radio with cockpit repeater. (new 2015)
- B&G Zeus 2 Navigation multi-touch chartplotter with GPS. (new 2015)
- B&G Go-Free wireless network. (new 2015)
- B&G Instruments- depth & Speed (new 2015) Wind (new Dec 2020)
- B&G Sonic Hub bluetooth stereo system
- B&G 4G Radar. (new 2015)
- Simrad NAIS 400 Class B AIS unit. (new 2015)
- Simrad AC42 autopilot computer. (new 2015)
- Autopilot 1 - Jefa Direct Drive, DD-2 autopilot drive. (new 2015)
- Autopilot 2 – CPT Heavy duty wheel pilot. (new 2016, factory refurbished/upgraded 2020)
- Lewmar Project 1500 Anchor Windlass 1700w (new 2020)
- 12V DC and 110V AC electrical system
- Mastervolt 2500w/100amp Mass combi inverter/ charger. (new 2015)
- Three 140w Solar Panels (new 2015)
- Three 170w Solar Panels (new Dec 2020)
- Two Blue Sky 3000i Solar Boost computers. (new 2015)
- Alternator on engine. (new 2015)
- Alternator charge computer. (new 2015)
- 12v Firefly Carbon Foam Battery Bank 580 Amp hours. (new 2020)
- 12v Marine Start Battery in engine room. (new Dec 2020)
- Three 12V bilge pumps
- Whale Gusher manual bilge pump
- 12v power sockets and USB sockets at navigation station
- 120v US-style power sockets throughout
- 6 Caframo Cabin Fans
- LED Lights - Navigation, Cabin and Deck
- Perkins 4-236 diesel engine, 82HP. smokefree (Receipts for extensive work/upgrades carried out in last 5 years)
- Max Prop 3-blade folding prop
- Honda EU2000 portable generator. 110v (new 2015)
- Hot and cold pressurised water. (new 2015)
- Engine/120v water heater. (new 2015)
- Manual saltwater pump in galley.
- Cruise RO 30 Gallon/hr high output water maker. (new 2015) (new Membranes Jan 2021)
- Groco Thru-hulls & Seacocks (new 2020)
Rigging & Sails
- 12v Technautics Cool Blue fridge compressor. (new 2015) 12v
- Technautics Cool Blue freezer compressor. (new 2015)
- Force 10 2 burner stove w/oven (new 2015)
- Standing Rigging replaced Dec 2019 including chain plates, mast attachment points, keel steps and deck collars. Masts, spreaders and Booms refinished with Awlgrip paint system.
- Tidetrack system added to Main and Mizzen Masts for easy sail handling. (new 2019)
- Harken roller furling on headsail. (new 2016)
- All Lewmar winches
- Mainsail with 2 reef points
- Hood 150% Genoa
- Hood Staysail
- Hank on Storm Gib for inner forestay (new 2019)
- Scott Mizzen Sail
- North Mizzen Staysail
- Spinnaker Sleeve by ATN. (new 2015)
- North Sails Cruising Spinaker
- Anchor bow roller replaced 2020
- Rocna 40/88lb Primary Anchor (new 2020)
- 300ft 3/8” G4 Chain (new 2020) plus approx. 50ft spare
- Crewsaver 6 person >24hr offshore liferaft (New 2019)
- PainsWessex Offshore Flare kit in waterproof canister (expiry 09/2022) ACR Global Fix Pro 406 Mhz EPIRB w/ GPS. (new 2015)
- Four ABC powder fire extinguishers. (new 2019)
- Smoke detector
- Carbon Monoxide sensor
- LifeSling MOB retrieval system
- Forespar MOB Pole
- Sea anchor
- Inmar 3.2m Aluminum RIB (new 2015) w/ 15HP Yamaha outboard (new Dec 2020) stows on davits or an easy adjustment to stow on foredeck.
- Like new interior cushion coverings, easy wipe clean fabric
- All Sunbrella fabrics on exterior. Bimini, Dodger, hatch covers, Re-waterproofed Dec 2020
- Panda Spin dryer for laundry (new 2019)
- Stainless Steel Bow Pulpit. (new 2017)
- Stainless Steel Arch with Dinghy Davits and Solar Panel Support. (new 2017)
- Sunbrella Cockpit Bimini. (New 2016)
- Sunbrella Dodger Hatch Spray hood. (new 2015)
- Deck shower. (new 2015)
- A wide variety of spare parts, filters etc
- Further photos and details available on request.
The owner offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.