'Sol Magic', a Catalina 400 for Sale
by Staci Smith
(Hampton, Virginia, USA)
Sol Magic is an extremely well-equipped example of one of Catalina's finest sailboats. This 2-berth, 2-head model is one of the roomiest and most comfortable 40’ monohulls available. In-mast furling main, roller furling headsail with all lines lead back to cockpit allows safe sail handling by one or two people, and a full enclosure provides protection from the elements.
She has been meticulously maintained and is a proven long-range cruiser with solar, water maker, custom storage and many other upgrades. She must be seen to be truly appreciated.
Year: 2002 (Hull # 251)
Draft: 5'6" (shoal draft, wing keel)
Mast Height: 61' (including antennas)
Displacement: 20,500 lbs
Engine: 56 hp Yanmar 4JH3E with 2500 hours.
3bladed fixed prop
PSS Shaft Seal (new in 2020)
Fuel: 44 gal (diesel)Anchoring:
Water: 110 gal (2 tanks)
Waste: 41 gal (2 tanks)
- Maxwell 800 electric windless (mechanically rebuilt in 2017; electrically rebuilt 2020)
- S100 (44 lb) SPADE with 180' chain, 100 line rode
- Fortress FX 23 secondary, 40' chain, 150' line rode
- Salt water washdown.
- Ulman (2015) InMast Roller Furling Main on deck-stepped mast
- 135% Jib on Harken Roller Furler
- Solid boom vang (Garhaurer)
- Spare halyards (2)
- Lewmar winches: #54 two-speed, self-tailing primary's, #40 secondary self-tailing halyard
- Garhauer traveler
- All lines lead to cockpit.
- Dual 30 amp shore power with cords
- 40 amp battery charger (new 2017)
- 2000 watt inverter (new 2016) with remote controller
- 2 4D AGM house batteries (new 2018)
- 1 Gp 27 start battery (2019) with Balmar DuoCharge (2020)
- 100 amp Balmar alternator with external Balmar 614 Smart regulator
- Balmar "Smart-guage" battery monitor.
- 3135 watt Kyocera Solar panels with MPPT Blue Sky controller and IPN-Remote PRO
- 2Zone dual zone airconditioning system
- LED lighting throughout
- Tank monitoring system (water, waste, fuel).
Cabin Accommodations:Master Stateroom
- Raymarine E120 chartplotter (in cockpit) with HD radar
- AIS transceiver (2015)
- Raymarine ST instruments (depth, speed, wind)
- Raymarine ST6001 autopilot with rudder angle indicator
- ICOM Ram Mic in cockpit
- Flat Screen TV on custom articulated mount in cabin. HD power antenna on mast
- Pioneer stereo with Bose speakers in cabin and cockpit. Satellite radio ready
- WiFi Booster (2015).
- Innerspring Kingsize master berth aft.
- Custom storage for long duration cruising
- Ensuite head with separate shower compartment.
- "U" shaped galley for secure cooking
- 3burner LPG stove with oven and vent hood
- Sharp microwave
- Dual SS sinks with water-saver faucet
- Large refrigerator with top/front storage accesso Custom storage cabinetry
- Beautiful "Ultra-Leather" cushions throughout
- Large dinette with seating for 6. Storage below.
- Navigation/work desk with storage and swivel seat
- Controls/indicators for all electrical equipment at Nav station
- New overhead hatches and side opening windows (2015)
- Custom teak cockpit doors
- Excellent engine/battery cabin access.
- Queen-sized centerline innerspring mattress with storage below
- Custom storage forward and along both sides
- Hanging locker
- Ensuite head.
Published Design Ratios for the Catalina 400:
- All required USCG equipment (flares, sound devices, life jackets, etc.)
- Both electric and manual bilge pumps
- Multiple fire extinguishers.
Sail Area/Displacement: 17.8
Comfort Ratio: 25.2
Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0Sailboat-Cruising.com asks:
Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat? If so, click here...