‘Windward Lady’. a Westerly Oceanlord 41
by Nick Creak
(UK based, Yacht cruising Caribbean )
‘Windward Lady’, a Westerly Oceanlord 41
Take the video tours around the boat...'Windward Lady'
, a centre cockpit, fin keel, monohull sloop, was launched in 1989. The Westerly Oceanlord is a well proven, sturdy, long distance cruiser, with comfortable accommodation. Designed by Ed Dubois and built to Lloyds Hull Construction requirements (Certificate SOU 816015). Berths for eight, including a spacious owners aft cabin, two heads and lots of storage. She is easily sailed with the sails on roller reefing systems and all control lines in the cockpit. UK Part 1 registered to Southampton.
At the beginning of this Caribbean season (October) she was surveyed (available to serious buyers) and has gone through an extensive refit and recommissioning. All systems have been checked and where needed updated and serviced, and we are still updating while living aboard and cruising the Caribbean.
The Engine, a Volvo Penta 2003t has been meticulously maintained with the boat mostly sailed, so much so that the engine has less than 1000 hours at time of writing! She starts on the button every time and runs faultlessly. All systems were checked by a professional mechanic in October and standard maintenance completed (fuel, oil etc.)
Cosmetically the teak interior is in excellent condition throughout with few scuffs or scratches. The Headlining in the forward, and aft cabins, as well as the heads and navigation berth have been replaced to a very high standard. As has the upholstery in the saloon and aft cabin sofa. It also has new curtains throughout giving a high quality and homely finish.
The rigging has been extensively surveyed with all areas suggested addressed. The bottom was professionally taken back to gel coat and built back up with Interlux interspeed 6400NA (3 of primer, 5 of Antifoul) this season (October). Alongside a rudder rebuild.'Windward Lady'
is well equipped for live-a-board cruising with solar panels, wind generator, extra batteries (4 new house and new starter in October), brand new Bimini giving lots of shade, brand new Raymarine EV 200 autohelm, Mitsubishi generator, E7d Raymarine chart plotter, SSB radio, shore power connections with 220v ring main in every room, deck wash & fresh water transom shower, etc. Two anchors, chains and lots of warps. Avon 2.8m dinghy & 3.3hp Mariner outboard with Davits.
Everything required for living aboard is available, cutlery, crockery, galley equipment, loads of spares (engine, rigging, electrical, plumbing, etc.), tools, charts, etc, etc. Even a cold beer in the fridge. We are cruising at present, so all a buyer needs is their swim wear and a sense of adventure.'Windward Lady'
is genuinely in very good condition and more than “ready to go” – she is cruising now!
We are planning to be in the Virgin Islands for February. Then heading South slowly for Trinidad by May 2019. Puerto Rico, the VIs, Antigua, St Lucia and Grenada all have international airports giving easy access for viewing. She’s well worth the view.Further details: Electronics
- 2018 Lowrance AIS VHF - feeds AIS info into Chart plotter;
- 2016 Raymarine E7D Chartplotter with Navionics charts for Caribbean/South America. WiFi connected to IPad on Console;
- 2018 Raymarine EV200 Autopilot with linear drive leg, p70 control head in cockpit;
- 2018 Victron Battery monitor, monitors all aspects of house batteries, voltage of starter battery;
- 2015 Raymarine ST60 Tridata (fitted 2018, was never used previously - as new) with 2018 AirMar Transducer;
- Lofrans 1200w Tigres windlass with foot pedals (foot pedals replaced 2018) - stripped and serviced Oct 2018;
- Xantrex Battery charger, re-wired with new cabling 2018 and reprogrammed for new house batteries/starter;
- 1500w inverter 220v - runs all interior ring main and electronics with ease;
- 2018 Whale shower drain pump fitted to forward head;
- 2018 Flojet shower drain pump fitted to aft head;
- Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 fresh water pump;
- Isotemp hot water accumulation tank run off engine;
- PUR 12v ‘powersurvivor’ watermaker. Currently not commissioned as needs new filter and membrane. I may do this but otherwise I have a quote of $300US for all parts needed. I also have a service kit;
- ICOM IC-M-700 SSB radio with auto-tuner and isolated back stay. Fully functioning, tested currently to a range of 50+ miles.
- 2x Siemens 75w solar panels, 2x Siemens 100w solar panels. These are wired up with the 75w and 100w paired on the starboard rail and port rails respectively (new stainless supports 2018). They are then run through separate 30amp controllers for best power production. This provides between 10-25amp depending on sun but plenty to keep batteries charged on normal conditions. All cabling is new 2018;
- Rutland 910 wind generator, this is original but works fine and provides a trickle charger of between 2 and 8amps.
- 2018 4x 6 volt Trojan house bank of batteries. (450ah total) Wiring 2018;
- 2018 1x 12v 90ah starter;
- 2018 all interior bulbs replaced with marine grade LEDs;
- 2018 100AMP breaker installed for all house loads to pass through;
- 2018 100AMP breaker installed for Windlass.
The wiring was also checked and where needed rewired by a professional boat electrician in 2018.Engine
The engine has been meticulously maintained throughout its life hence its reliability and was one of the main things that attracted me to the boat. Over its life, although it has had light use some parts have been replaced as a matter of course.
This includes the turbo, exhaust elbow, oil cooler, exhaust pipes, alternator etc.
Before putting the boat in the water a Marine mechanic ran and checked all aspects of the engine including doing standard maintenance ( impellers, filters etc), a sea trial was then conducted when first launcher.
On top of this I had the tanks polished and fuel medic added. After 20 hours of running the fuel filters were then changed again.Rigging/Anchor
This was all checked during my survey, any suggestions were then carried out (very minor like replacing cotter pins etc.) Westerly rigging is known for being well over engineered. For example all shrouds back stays etc. are 10mm!
- Winches have all been taken apart, cleaned and serviced. All are in A1 excellent condition;
- Roller reefing on Genoa (RotoStay);
- Kemp in Mast furling for Main;
- Main Halyard, Genoa Halyard and Outhaul and Kicked clutches replaced 2018;
- 2018 Mantas 45lb Anchor (provides exceptional holding);
- Spare 45lb Fortress type Anchor (unbranded);
- 65 metres of 10mm chain;
- 2x full spare rope rodes, length unknown but they are long!
- Spare lines, warps, sheets, Halyards, pulleys etc.
- 2018 SeaSafe ProLight 4 man liferaft with stainless bracket and Hammar auto release;
- 2018 metal lifelines installed;
- 2017 MCMurdo EPIRB;
- Throw lines and life buoy;
- Gas line replaced 2018 as well as solenoid, run off panel in galley;
- Fire extinguisher replaced 1x 2kg Co2, 1x 2kg powder;
- 3x 2018 flares, a bucket of various older flares;
- Bilge pump and float switch serviced 2018;
- New rubber gasket installed on Henderson manual bilge pump.
- 2018 headlining replaced forward cabin, aft cabin, forward head, aft head, Nav berth;
- 2018 cushion reupholstered in Salon, Nav desk, Aft Cabin (very hard wearing and easy to clean);
- Various woodwork replaced, revarnished and repaired;
- 2018 full width (guard rail to guard rail) Bimini installed in sunbrella providing ample shade across whole cockpit;
- Storm hood/Dodger restitched 2018 with a zipped clear window installed to allow better visibility and a through-flow of air;
- Full overboom tent awning which runs from just in front of mast to rear pulpit. Excellent quality, as new.
- Genoa 1+2. Genoa 1 has had the clue reinforced and been restitched as needed (2018). Perfectly serviceable for many years to come;
- 2x Mains included. Current working one was restitched around luff to provide reinforcement (2018). Again perfect working order;
- 1x Trysail (brand new unused);
- 1x Storm Jib (brand new unused);
- Various Spinnakers included as well as snuffer and spinnaker pole. (Not rigged but I believe everything is here to rig, its too windy most of the time here to worry about rigging it.)
- Avon 2.8 RIB which we have put worn cover on to protect it;
- Mariner 3.3hp, cosmetically needs work but runs faultlessly and was serviced 2018;
- The boat is fitted with Davits (new stainless plates made 2018 to reinforce them (I don’t think these can be over engineered although previous owner used them for years without issue);
- Mitsubishi Generator, runs perfectly but hasn’t been needed as solar power recharges batteries as needed. Serviced 2018.
- Banks Sails Bosun Chair;
- Bernina sewing machine;
- Stainless Pulpit boarding ladder;
- Fold up bicycle; in need of some TLC;
- Trolling fishing gear;
- Various torches;
- Vast array of engine, deckware, plumbing and electrical spares/parts;
- Tools Including 2x sanders, jigsaw, spanners, molegrips, screwdrivers etc.
Asking Price: £62,000 or $ equivalent