The CSY 44 (Walk-Through), a heavy displacement cruising yacht, was designed by Peter Schmitt & Frank Hamlin and built in the USA by CSY Yacht Corp.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel with skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fiberglass)
Length Overall: 44'0" (13.4m)
Waterline Length: 36'0" (11.0m)
Beam: 13'3" (4.0m)
Draft: 6'6" (2.0m), Shoal Draft version 5'0" (1.5m)
Rig Type: Cutter*
Displacement: 37,000lb (16,783kg)
Designer: Peter Schmitt & Frank Hamlin
Builder: CSY Yacht Corp. (Caribbean Sailing Yachts)
Year First Built: 1978
Number Built: 40
* A few were produced with a ketch rig
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 14.0
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 32.4
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 354
4. Comfort Ratio: 47.7
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.6
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 14.0 suggests that the CSY 44 (Walk Through) will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 32.4 means that the CSY 44 (Walk Through) will have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and she'll need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 354, tells us the CSY 44 (Walk Through) is firmly in the ultra-heavy displacement category. Load her up as much as you like and her performance will be hardly affected. Few if any sailboats are built to this displacement category these days - but they remain popular with some long-distance sailors.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 47.7 suggests that crew comfort of a CSY 44 (Walk Through) in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a heavy bluewater cruising boat. Pitching and rolling will be well damped - your cup of coffee on the salon table stands a reasonable chance of staying there in most conditions.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.6 tells us that a CSY 44 (Walk Through) would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM