The S&S 34, a masthead sloop, was designed by Sparkman & Stephens and built in the UK by Winfield & Partners/Aquafibre.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel & Skeg-Hung Rudder;
Hull Material: GRP (Fiberglass);
Length Overall: 33'5" (10.2m);
Waterline Length: 24'2" (7.4m);
Beam: 10'1" (3.1m);
Draft: 5'9" (1.8m);
Rig Type: Masthead sloop;
Displacement: 9,195lb / 4,171kg;
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens;
Builder: Winfield & Partners/Aquafibre (UK);
Year First Built: 1968;
Owners Association: Sparkman & Stephens Owners Association
Although 'Morning' is no longer for sale, the interesting pics and text of the original advertisement are available here for the benefit of anyone researching this classic sailboat.
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.5
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 58.7
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 291
4. Comfort Ratio: 24.3
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.9
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
1.A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.5 suggests that, in the right hands, the S&S 34 will have enough performance to leave most other sailboats of similar waterline length well astern.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 58.7 means that the S&S 34 will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 291, tells us the S&S 34 is clearly a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but she'll come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 24.3 suggests that crew comfort of a S&S 34 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.9 tells us that a S&S 34 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM
Mar 26, 23 08:29 AM