The Wauquiez Gladiateur 33, a masthead sloop, was designed by Donald Pye (of Holman & Pye) and built in France by Henri Wauquiez.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel & Skeg-Hung Rudder;
Hull Material: GRP;
Length Overall: 32'10" / 10.0m;
Waterline Length: 27'3" / 8.3m;
Beam: 11'0" / 3.3m;
Draft: 6'0" / 1.8m;
Rig Type: Masthead sloop;
Displacement: 11,000lb / 4,990kg;
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 17;
Displacement/Length Ratio: 243;
Designer: Donald Pye (Holman & Pye);
Builder: Henri Wauquiez (France);
Year First Built: 1977;
Year Last Built: 1986;
Number Built: 299;
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.8
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 43.7
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 243
4. Comfort Ratio: 24.1
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.8 suggests that, in the right conditions, the Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 will approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 43.7 means that the Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 243, tells us the Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 24.1 suggests that crew comfort of a Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 2.0 indicates that a Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 would not be the wisest choice of sailboat for ocean passage-making owing to the lower resistance to capsize in strong winds and heavy seas that is associated with similar sailboats that have a CSF of 2.0 and above.
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM