The Eventide 26 Sailboat
Many of the plywood-hulled, clinker-built, twin-keeled Eventide 26 sailboats were completed by home builders in the 1950s and 60s.
Many thanks to George Wenman for submitting this pic of his Eventide 26 'Valerie' alongside in Port Owen, South Africa.
Published Specification for the Eventide 26
Underwater Profile: Twin keel
Hull Material: Plywood
Length Overall: 26' 0" / 8.4m
Waterline Length: 22' 0" / 6.7m
Beam: 8' 0" / 2.5m
Draft: 3' 10" / 1.2m. A fin keeled version was also produced which drew 4'6".
Rig Type: Masthead sloop
Displacement: 11,023lb / 5,000kg
Designer: Maurice Griffiths
Builder: Various, designed for home builders
Year First Built: 1957
Year Last Built: ?
Number Built: not known
Owners Association: The Eventide Owners' Group
Published Design Ratios for the Eventide 26
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: ?
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 25.6
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 273
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 27.1
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Eventide 26
- She will be less stiff and less powerful than other similar sailboats in this size range.
- She is of moderate to heavy displacement.
- She has the motion under sail of a coastal cruiser.
- She is better suited for ocean passages than other similar sailboats in her size range.
Sailboats in the Eventide range include:
Sailboats designed by Maurice Griffiths include:
The British yacht designer Maurice Griffiths (1902 - 1997) was a former editor of Yachting Monthly. He specialised in sailboats that could be constructed using inexpensive materials such as marine plywood and completed by an amateur builder.
- Athena 26
- Atlantic Clipper 36
- Barbican 33
- Cockler 25
- Eventide 24
- Eventide 26
- Finesse 27
- Francis Drake 37
- Golden Hind 31
- Idle Duck
- Kylix 27
- Lone Gull 28
- Medusa 25
- Riptide 31
- Waterwitch 30
Used Eventide 26s for Sale...
Are there any used Eventide 26s or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
'Exhibit A', a Hunter 356 is in great condition, having had many recent upgrades, and is ready for her new owner to step aboard and sail away
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
The true cost of boat ownership will almost certainly be more than what you originally thought it might be; the components of cost are...
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!