The Sweden Yachts 42 Sailboat
Specs & Key Performance Indicators
The Sweden Yachts 42, an aft-cockpit fractional sloop, was designed by Peter Norlin and built by Sweden Yachts.
A Sweden Yachts 42
Published Specification for the Sweden Yachts 42
Underwater Profile: Bulb fin keel & spade rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 43'5" (13.3m)
Waterline Length: 36'10" (11.2m)
Beam: 12'10" (3.9m)
Draft: 6'11" (2.1m)
Rig Type: Fractional sloop
Displacement: 22,046lb (10,000kg)
Designer: Peter Norlin
Builder: Sweden Yachts
Year First Built: 1998
Published Design Ratios for the Sweden Yachts 42
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 18.8
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 40.3
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 197
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 29.4
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Sweden Yachts 42
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 18.8 suggests that the Sweden Yachts 42 will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 40.3 means that the Sweden Yachts 42 will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 197, tells us the Sweden Yachts 42 is a light-to-moderate displacement sailboat. If she's loaded with too much heavy cruising gear her performance will suffer to a degree.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 29.4 suggests that crew comfort of a Sweden Yachts 42 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of an offshore cruiser with good dynamic stability.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 indicates that a Sweden Yachts 42 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Other sailboats in the Sweden Yachts range include:
Sep 27, 22 03:14 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?