The Albin Ballad 30 Sailboat
The Albin Ballad 30, a masthead sloop, was designed by Rolf Magnusson and built in Sweden by Albin Marine.
The Albin Ballad 30
Published Specification for the Albin Ballad 30
Underwater Configuration: Fin with skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 29' 11" / 9.12m
Waterline Length: 22' 7" / 6.88m
Beam: 9' 8" / 2.95m
Draft: 5' 1" / 1.55m
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
Displacement: 7,276lb / 3,300kg
Designer: Rolf Magnusson
Builder: Albin Marine (Sweden)
Year First Built: 1971
Year Last Built: 1982
Number Built: 1500
Owners Association: UK Ballad Association
Published Design Ratios for the Albin Ballad 30
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.1
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 47.0
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 282
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 22.1
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Albin Ballad
A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.1 suggests that she'll approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 47.0 means that she'll stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
A Displacement/Length Ratio of 282, tells us she's clearly a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but will come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 22.1 suggests that crew comfort in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
Her Capsize Screening Formula of 2.0 tells us that she would be a better choice of sailboat for ocean passage-making than one with a CS rating of more than 2.0.
Sailboats in the Albin range include the:
- Accent 26
- Albin 57
- Albin 7.8
- Albin 79
- Albin Express
- Alpha 29
- Ballad 30
- Cirrus 7.8
- Cumulus 28
- Delta 31
- Nimbus 42
- Nova 33
- Singoalla 34
- Stratus 36
- Vega 27
- Viggen 23
May 16, 22 04:32 AM
Interested in the Etap 32i sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 15, 22 10:55 AM
Interested in the X-332 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 14, 22 06:47 AM
Interested in the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...