'Bel Canto', a C&C 36 Sailboat for Sale
'Bel Canto', a C&C 36 Sailing Racer/Cruiser is 36ft overall, has a 12ft beam, draws 6ft and is of 12,000lb displacement.
She's a masthead sloop with Navtec rod rigging, a fin keel and spade rudder. She's constructed of thick fiberglass with teak trim, with a bridge deck for blue water sailing and cocktail parties.
'Bel Canto', a C&C 36 Sailing Racer/Cruiser
We purchased our 'Bel Canto' 11 years ago after owning and actively racing a Pearson 30 over 30 years. We planned to do extensive cruising and very little racing but wanted a rugged sailboat with a good turn of speed and windward ability. We also wanted a bright, comfortable and livable craft that handled well in all conditions.
'Bel Canto' has lived up to all those expectations in many trips across and up Long Island Sound as far as Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.
'Bel Canto' is easy for a couple of seniors to sail, with roller furling, a mainsail that drops into a StackPack with integrated cover, and lines led back to cockpit.
Salon, starboard side looking forward
Based at Norwalk YC, the cockpit sits 6 comfortably for sailing and 10 for cocktails. A full bimini, with top cutouts for sail trimming, provides shade.
Double lifelines and wide decks are safe for our grandchildren who loved to sail, invite friends and have sleepovers.
Plenty of room with v-berth, single and double settees and quarter berth.
We would be still enjoying her, but have reached the age where handling a lively sailboat is beyond our physical abilities.
Folding Pedestal Table in main cabin
GEAR & WHAT'S NEW:
When the boat was purchased in Fall 2011, she was stored indoors to dry thoroughly. In the spring, the bottom was sanded down and re-glassed. Then two coats of barrier paint were applied.
The bottom has been painted each year with highest grade ablative Petit bottom paint.
Summer 2021, the boat was hauled, the keel bolts were tightened and sealed.
Original Yanmar 30GM raw water-cooled engine, 3 Cylinder, 30 HP Diesel . It has been maintained and runs well. 20-gallon fuel tank. Boat burns approximately 1 gallon per hour.
- 2022: New fuel pump, 2 bilge pumps, filters
- 2021: New manifold
- 2018: New throttle and gearshift
- 2013: New Martec 2 blade folding prop
- Edson steering system with a Destroyer wheel and compass binnacle
- Autohelm 3000 auto pilot system with power plug on deck
- 2018: New chain and control cable.
- Fortress Anchor with 20 feet of 1/4 inch chain, 200 feet ½ inch anchor rode.
- Also, one 20 lb Danforth spare with anchor line.
Bel Canto's hydraulic backstay adjuster
- Navtech Stainless Steel Rod Rigging.
- 2015 Replaced lower shrouds
- 2011 new halyards
- Adjustable Hydraulic Backstay
- Running Fore stay on track
- Boom Vang
- Mainsail: Loose footed, reconditioned 2022. Easily drops into North Stackpack with lazy jacks and built-in cover.
- Roller furling 135 Dacron jib.
- 2 Mylar 150% jibs judged in Fair condition. Have not raced the boat so have not used them.
- 1 Storm jib
- 1 Spinnaker, a bit elderly but usable for cruising. Spinnaker Pole with trigger ends.
All lines are led aft to a self-tailing winch
DECK & SAIL HANDLING GEAR:
- 2 Lewmar #42 2-speed winches port and starboard in cockpit
- 2 Barient #27 Self tailing winches port and starboard in cockpit
- 1 Self tailing Lewmar #16 Cabin top
- 2 Barient #18 Cabin top port and starboard
- 1 Barient #10 Mid Cabin top
- 1 winch on boom for reefing
- 5 Winch Handles: 3 Stainless Steel Barient lock-in; 2 Floating
- Chargeable power Winch It that can be used on all winches.
- Topping Lift
- Inboard, Full Length Genoa Tracks with Cars
- Full Length Toe Rail, Port and Starboard
- 2nd Jib Halyard
- Mainsheet System on Traveler
- A reef line with jammer mounted in boom
- Internal Harken Main Outhaul System
- Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster
- 3 Large Snatch Blocks
- 2nd Spinnaker Halyard
- Jib Furling System, 2 tracks, line on starboard side
- All lines are led aft to a self-tailing winch and stoppers on cabin roof, so sails can be controlled from the cockpit.
- 2 Circuit Breaker Panels plus Main Circuit Breaker
- 110 Volt AC Shore Power Inlet with Cord
- 2 Deep cycle marine batteries, new fall 2020 and summer 2021
- New wall mounted battery switch
- Electrical panel and boat interior re-wired 2016
- 2 cigarette lighter outlets in nav station and v-berth for cell phone charging
- 1 AC outlet in galley
- 2 oscillating fans in v-berth and main cabin
- Solar panel mounted off cockpit for trickle charging
- Shore power inlet and extension cords
- Wind Speed/Direction (masthead instruments need wiring)
- Older chart plotter mounted inside that needs updating, but not necessary. Antenna replaced in 2015. Apps on tablets, phones and computers are easy to use
- VHF radio mounted at nav station
The Nav Station
PLUMBING, GALLEY & HEAD:
- In 2016 the plumbing in the boat was reorganized and replaced. It had water tanks beneath the port dining area of the cabin. These were removed since the boat was not being used for extensive offshore cruising and extra storage was desirable.
- 1 fresh water 40-gallon tank remains under the starboard settee. The storage tank beneath the V-berth has been converted for use as a 25 gal holding tank with a Y-valve. If the buyers plan extensive off shore cruising the plumbing is there to install flexible tankage beneath the settee area.
- In 2016 the galley faucets, sink and head were replaced, with new hoses. 12 VDC pressure water system was installed and a foot pump at the sink for fresh water There is no hot water heater, but space for installing one. The head has a shower with drain and good storage.
- In 2016: the gimbaled 3 burner stove with oven was replaced with the same model but like new. The propane tank, with cut-off switches on the panel and wall, is in the port rear locker.
- 2 roomy insulated ice boxes
Head compartment with shower
- Four opening ports with screens in main cabin.
- Opening hatch in main cabin
- Hatch in v-berth replaced 2014
- The blue V-berth cushions are in very good condition. Removable insert.
- The main cabin has original plaid upholstered cushions that show their age; however, they are comfortable and can be recovered. The blue quarter berth cushion also shows age.
- Folding Pedestal Table in main cabin
- Full length hanging locker, wet locker, abundant storage
- Large nav station desk with storage inside
The quarter berth
- 6 PDF's
- Stern Mounted Boarding Ladder
- Double Life Lines with Gates
- Solid Bottom Boson's Chair
- Fire Extinguishers
- US Coastguard Signal Flares
- Man overboard sling
Deck Hatch over main cabin
- Full bimini, with top cutouts for sail trimming, provides shade. Bimini frame is fine but the cover needs repair.
- Custom cockpit table, easily stowed.
- Dock lines
- Life Jackets
- Swim stern ladder
- Outboard engine mount.
- Handheld GPS
- Radio and CD player with stereo speakers in cockpit and remote
- Manual bilge pump
- Full medical kit
'Bel Canto' is ready to sail and enjoy. However, as a lady of a certain age, she does show signs of wear. The gelcoat has nicks and wear spots from sheets and halyards. The Lewmar winches could be re-chromed, but work well as is. In very heavy rain, there is a minor leak, possibly from the handrails.
But the new replacement of a yacht like this could cost a quarter of a million dollars, and the return on a little TLC cannot be overestimated. Owning 'Bel Canto' will provide all the joy of capable, fast cruising or respectable club racing.
Jul 01, 22 03:18 AM
Interested in the Tartan 34 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
Jun 29, 22 02:45 PM
'Endeavour' is a very special Tartan 34C, as you will see from the cutter rig modification, Ratcliffe wind vane auxiliary rudder self-steering, SSB radio, radar, and more.
Jun 28, 22 12:11 PM
The broad beam, large cockpit and spacious salon of the Dudley Dix Hout Bay 40 make for a very comfortable sailboat to live aboard and sail.