The Flicka 20 Sailboat
Despite the diminutive size of the Flicka 20, these little sailboats have made impressive ocean passages and dealt with serious storms. Having proven bluewater capability, the Flicka 20 enjoys a cult following.
The Flicka 20, a diminutive pocket cruiser.
With just 20' on deck, there's enough accommodation and facilities below for a single-handed liveaboard cruiser. Their charm and character is undeniable.
Published Specification for the Flicka 20
Hull Type: Long keel with transom-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 24' 0" / 7.3m
Waterline Length: 18' 2" / 5.5m
Beam: 8' 0" / 2.4m
Draft: 3' 3" / 1.0m
Rig Type: Cutter
Displacement: 5,500lb / 2,495kg
Designer: Bruce Bingham
Builder: Nor'Star Fiberglass Yachts and Pacific Seacraft (USA)
Year First Built: 1974
Year Last Built: 1999
Number Built: 400
Owners Association: Not known
More about the Flicka 20...
Published Design Ratios for the Flicka 20
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 12.2
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 29.2
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 447
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 29.2
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Flicka 20
- Her small rig and heavy displacement places her in the under-powered category;
- She's less stiff and less powerful than other similar vessels of her size;
- She's ultra-heavy;
- Comfort wise, her motion is on the cusp of being like that of a moderate offshore cruising boat;
- She's better suited for offshore passages than other similar vessels of her size;
Sailboats designed by Bruce Bingham include:
Used Flicka 20s for Sale...
Are there any used Flicka 20s or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
May 16, 22 04:32 AM
Interested in the Etap 32i sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 15, 22 10:55 AM
Interested in the X-332 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 14, 22 06:47 AM
Interested in the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...