The Great Dane 28
The heavy displacement, long keeled Great Dane 28 cruising boat was designed by Aage Utzon in conjunction with Klaus Baess, and built in Denmark.
A Great Dane 28 long-keeled cruising yacht at anchor
Published Specification for the Great Dane 28
Hull Type: Long keel with transom-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 28' 0" / 8.5m
Waterline Length: 21' 4" / 6.5m
Beam: 8' 2" / 2.5m
Draft: 4' 6" / 1.4m
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop (bit this one is rigged with an inner forestay)
Displacement: 8,500lb / 3,856kg
Designer: Aage Utzon/Klaus Baess
Builder: Klauss Baess, Copenhagen (Denmark)
Year First Built: 1965
Year Last Built: 1989
Number Built: 300
Owners Association: Great Dane 28 Owners' Club
Many thanks to Dan Tisoskey for submitting the photograph.
Published Design Ratios for the Great Dane 28
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 13.8
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 46.7
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 391
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 34.3
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.6
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Great Dane 28
- She's considered under-powered when under sail;
- She's stiffer than most other similar vessels in her class;
- She's in the ultraheavy category;
- Crew comfort in a seaway is commensurate with that of a moderate offshore cruising boat;
- She's better suited for ocean passages than most other similar vessels in her class.
Sailboats designed by Aage Utzon include:
Danish by nationality, Aage Utzon was educated as a naval engineer in Newcastle (UK) following which he was offered the position of works engineer at Aalborg Shipyard in Denmark. Here he gained an excellent reputation as a designer of seaworthy sailboats.
Used Great Dane 28s for Sale...
Are there any used Great Dane 28s or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
May 16, 22 04:32 AM
Interested in the Etap 32i sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 15, 22 10:55 AM
Interested in the X-332 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 14, 22 06:47 AM
Interested in the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...