The Great Dane 28
The heavy displacement, long keeled Great Dane 28 cruising boat was designed by Aage Utzon in conjunction with Klaus Baess, and built in Denmark.
A Great Dane 28 long-keeled cruising yacht at anchor
Published Specification for the Great Dane 28
Hull Type: Long keel with transom-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 28' 0" / 8.5m
Waterline Length: 21' 4" / 6.5m
Beam: 8' 2" / 2.5m
Draft: 4' 6" / 1.4m
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop (bit this one is rigged with an inner forestay)
Displacement: 8,500lb / 3,856kg
Designer: Aage Utzon/Klaus Baess
Builder: Klauss Baess, Copenhagen (Denmark)
Year First Built: 1965
Year Last Built: 1989
Number Built: 300
Owners Association: Great Dane 28 Owners' Club
Many thanks to Dan Tisoskey for submitting the photograph.
Published Design Ratios for the Great Dane 28
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 13.8
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 46.7
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 391
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 34.3
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 1.6
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Great Dane 28
- She's considered under-powered when under sail;
- She's stiffer than most other similar vessels in her class;
- She's in the ultraheavy category;
- Crew comfort in a seaway is commensurate with that of a moderate offshore cruising boat;
- She's better suited for ocean passages than most other similar vessels in her class.
Sailboats designed by Aage Utzon include:
Danish by nationality, Aage Utzon was educated as a naval engineer in Newcastle (UK) following which he was offered the position of works engineer at Aalborg Shipyard in Denmark. Here he gained an excellent reputation as a designer of seaworthy sailboats.
Used Great Dane 28s for Sale...
Are there any used Great Dane 28s or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
'Exhibit A', a Hunter 356 is in great condition, having had many recent upgrades, and is ready for her new owner to step aboard and sail away
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
The true cost of boat ownership will almost certainly be more than what you originally thought it might be; the components of cost are...
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!