The Gulf 32, an ultra-heavy displacement sloop, was designed by William Garden and built in the USA by Gulf Marine Products/Capital Yachts Inc.
Underwater Profile: Long keel
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 32'0" (9.8m)
Waterline Length: 23'4" (7.1m)
Beam: 10'0" (3.1m)
Draft: 5'2" (1.6m)*
Rig Type: Cutter (or sloop)
Displacement: 16,000lb (7,257kg)
Designer: William Garden
Builder: Gulf Marine Products/Capital Yachts Inc (USA)
Year First Built: 1965
Year Last Built: 1998
Number Built: 400
* A shoal draft version was an option, drawing 4'6"
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 11.6
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 40.6
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 563
4. Comfort Ratio: 44.4
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.6
Read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of just 11.6 suggests that the Gulf 32 will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 40.3 means that the Gulf 32 will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 563, tells us the Gulf 32 is firmly in the ultra-heavy displacement category. Load her up as much as you like and her performance will be hardly affected, not that it was ever startling. Few if any sailboats are built to this displacement category these days - but they remain popular with some long-distance sailors.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 44.4 suggests that crew comfort of a Gulf 32 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a heavy bluewater cruising boat. Pitching and rolling will be well damped - your cup of coffee on the salon table stands a reasonable chance of staying there in most conditions.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.6 indicates that a Gulf 32 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM
Mar 26, 23 08:29 AM