'Pompoen', our Hans Christian 34 for Sale!
by owner Rick Kretschmer
We are selling our beloved 1978 Hans Christian 34 cutter-rigged double-ender. She is currently located in Chaguaramas, Trinidad & Tobago, a great place to prepare for a long journey and finish any bits of a refit desired. She had an extensive refit in 2023 as outlined in the following inventory and refit lists.
An impressive bowsprit
Pompoen’s Inventory List:
- 1 Working Genoa 110%
- 1 Working Staysail
- 1 Spare Staysail
- 1 Yankee
- 1 Storm Jib
- 1 Working mainsail
- 1 Spare mainsail
- 1 Cut down mainsail for use as storm mainsail (Storm track on mast)
- 1 Cruising spinnaker with sock and deploying gear
Pompoen at anchor
- 3 Barient #18 two speed, chromed bronze
- 1 Lewmar 7 single speed aluminum
- 1 Barient #21 two speed, chromed bronze
- 2 Lewmar #40 two speed, self-tailing, chromed bronze
- 1 Hinged shank plow type anchor 45lb.
- 1 65M of 8mm galvanized chain
- 1 Hinged shank plow type anchor 35 lb.
- 1 Fortress™ FX 37 Aluminum stockless Danforth™ type
- 1 Length of ¾” three strand twisted nylon rode 160’ in good condition
- 1 Length of 1” nylon braid 220’.
- 1 Simpson Manual Windlass
- 1 Anchor Buddi (lead weight to roll down chain to improve scope)
- 7 Fenders and plenty of Docking Lines
- 1 Rollup Achilles Dinghy,new 12/2008 professional inspection and repairs 2023
- 1 8HP Mercury outboard, new in 12/2008 Overhaul in 2023
- 1 Navy Stockless Dinghy Anchor
Pompoen's salon, looking aft
- 1 Viking 4 Person Liferaft 2011
- 1 EPIRB ACR 406 satellite3, COSPAS-SARSAT 2DC58 EB382 FFBFF batteries replaced in 2023
- 1 Para-Tech Sea Anchor that is the recommended size for this boat with 2 300 ft lines rigged for easier deployment
- 3 Life jackets
- 3 Harnesses
- 2 Jack Lines
- 1 Spot light
- 3 Fire Extinguishers (2 new 2023)
- 1 Man Overboard pole w/horseshoe buoy
- 1 Horn
- 1 Sledge Hammer
- 1 Radar Reflector
- 1 Bosun’s Chair
- 4 Screw in storm plugs for Dorade vents
- 1 Pair of Cable Cutters
Pompoen's salon, looking forward
Piping and Sanitary:
- 1 Small rule submersible electric bilge pump
- 1 Rule 3700 emergency submersible electric bilge pump
- 1 Whale Mk5 manual bilge pump new 2023
- 1 Potable Pressure Water System
- 1 Galley fresh water electric pump
- 1 Galley fresh water foot pump
- 1 Galley saltwater hand pump
- 1 Beta Marine Diesel model BV1505 rated at 37.5 SHP installed in 2000 with 2380 hours of use.
- 2 Racor separator/filters w/bypass capability to run one or both and can change one while running engine on the other
- 1 Exhaust shut off valve for use in high seas
- 1 PSS Dripless shaft seal
- 1 3 blade bronze propeller
Beta Marine Diesel
- 2 Lifeline GPL-4DL AGM house batteries NOTE: Only one was installed, the other is beneath the port side salon bench awaiting wiring both New 2020
- 1 Eveready Gold Lead acid start battery 700a new 2023
- 1 Mega Pulse Marine battery maintainer
an impressive interior
Navigation Equipment & Electronics:
- 1 QK-A026 AIS Receiver with NMEA Multiplexer + WiFi + GPS
- 1 ProNautic 12/20P can use 120VAC, 60hz, or 230VAC 50hz, installed in 2017
- 1 True Heading Carbon AIS Transponder
- 1 Icom IC402 1/25W fixed mount VHF radio
- 1 Vesper Marine AIS transceiver with NEMA interface new 2010
- 1 Garmin GPS 12 handheld
- 1 Hummingbird Fish finder/depth sounder Matrix 12
- 1 Signet Knot-Log
- 1 Kenwood R5000 SSB receiver
- 1 SSB Realistic DX440
- 1 Bronze Ritchie 5” magnetic steering compass
- 1 Spare Ritchie magnetic tell-tail compass
- 1 Sinergex™ 300W inverter
- 1 Pair Hahn 7X50 waterproof binoculars
- 1 Pair Plastimo 7X50 binoculars
- 1 pair Yamaha 6X30 binoculars
- 1 New Windex 2023 masthead wind indicator
- 1 Radar reflector
- 1 Supernova Combi Tri and Anchor L.E.D mastlight
Pompoen's navigation station
- 1 Autohelm for Wind Vane driving auxiliary rudder. New bearings, support brackets, and other parts in good operating condition
Trim-tab self-steering gear
- Taylor’s 030 2-burner stove with oven
- 1 Car deck with usb, aux, MP3 player (no CD)
- 1 Sewing machine household Singer from 1977 serviced in 2023
Pompoen's quarterberth on the starboard side
- Assortment of hand tools from 17” channel lock pliers to feeler gauges and easy outs
- 1 DeWalt 12 Volt drill and flashlight w/charger new 2013
- 2 DeWalt batteries new 2019 and 1 older.
- 1 Makita die-grinder
- 1 Mini Shop Vac(great for being on the hard)
- 1 Heat Gun
- 1 Pressure Washer New 2023
Documents & Manuals:
- 1 Engine notebook
- 1 Notebook of assorted info on systems and parts
- 1 Slim orange ITOYA file with electrical schematics, awning cut out plan
- 1 Black engine maintenance log
- 1 Set of Reference books
- Lots of extra fiberglass materials, varnish, paint, tons of extra nuts, bolts, screws, etc, all perfectly organized
PAST MAJOR PROJECTS (provided by previous owner who had her since 1989):
- 1999: replaced Starboard Samson post with purpleheart.
- 2000: new engine (replaced salt water cooled Volvo 34 with the Beta before heading to tropics)
- 2001: new standing rigging and solar panels
- 2002: water tank leak repairs.
- 2003: new VHF and antenna, new speedometer after lightning strike. No other damage sustained. Bottle brush added. Major paint work, New awning and sail covers.
- 2003: Auxiliary rudder repairs.
- 2005: New wiring for navigation lights (both masthead and pulpit), other work on mast including paint.
- 2006: Replaced port diesel tank (black iron) with epoxy/glass and re-plumbed fuel lines.
- 2007: Removed bowsprit for caulking access, discovered some rot and replaced the entire bowsprit with kauri. Re-glazed all port lights.
- 2008: New dinghy/outboard. 65M new chain – not much work done this year.
- 2009: replaced bow stem chain plates and inner forestay after the former broke. Blister repair job including one new layer of glass and lots of painting, Also a new awning.
- 2010: AIS Transponder added. New interior cushions, new fenders
- 2011: New life raft, new EPIRB, new docking lines, some new running rigging
- 2012: New wood for overhead in salon & galley, w/new LED lighting, interior paint and varnish, misc. wood work. New galley cabinet and stove surroundings lined with stainless steel. Replaced 2 chain plates (aft shrouds – one showed hairline crack). Re-bedding of forward haws holes.
- 2013: replaced upper shroud chainplates, new 65M chain.
- 2014: re-caulking and refastening teak deck. New engine damper plate. Port Sampson Post replaced with Ipé. New dinghy floorboards. Transmission fluid change.
- 2014 - 18: Replaced most of the caulking.
- 2015: Forward shroud chainplates and stern chain plate replaced. (Bowsprit fitting for head stay only original left.) Had topside blisters (cosmetics) repaired and entire topsides painted with AwlGrip. New Bow Pulpit, wiring, LED lights, bowsprit paint, New stern pulpit, wiring, LED light, new mast step.
- 2023: Major refit (see below)
Major refit 2023
- Switched to navionics (installed iPad USB 3.0 charging and mounts)
- Installed QK-A026 AIS Receiver with NMEA Multiplexer + WiFi + GPS (AIS appears on Navionics while continuing to send location)
- New Supernova Combi Tri and Anchor L.E.D mastlight (Functions as both nav lights and anchor light)
- New in mast VHF cable of high quality
- Replaced batteries
- Cleaned heat exchanger
- Emptied and cleaned diesel tank
- Flushed coolant system thoroughly
- Professionally rebuilt alternator
- New fresh water pump
- New temperature sender
- Polished belt surfaces
- New belt (fan belt gates 9 part number 7400 10mmx 1031mm OC)
- Oil change, new oil filter
- New fuel filters (including Parker Racor filters)
- New air filter
- New cutlass bearing
- New PSS dripless shaft seal
- Replaced Zincs throughout boat
- Installed New Jabsco toilet (toto bowl) system with all new plumbing, vent loops, and through hull fittings
- Cleaned, inspected and lubricated all winches
- Cleaned, inspected and lubricated windlass
- Cleaned, inspected and lubricated all seacocks
- New mainsail cover
- New dodger
- New headsail cover
- Professionally serviced dinghy
- Professionally serviced outboard engine and replaced drive shaft with higher quality Stainless Steel
- New lifelines with Dyneema
- New manual bilge pump whale mk5
- Professional standing rigging inspection and tuning(replaced two toggles (Forestay and backstay) and port side bowsprit stay)
- New Spreader boots
- New spreader LED lights and lenses
- Rebuilt and cleaned stove and stove pump, installed one brand new burner and inspected others
- Rebuilt saltwater galley pump
- Redesigned bow anchor rollers to maintain centered chain
- Painted mast and booms with 2 component paint
- Re-bunged entire teak cockpit/refinished teak
- Cabin top repaired and professionally painted with 2 component paint
- Thorough painting and varnishing of boat using 2 component interlux paint and epifanes varnish
- Bottom sanded back to primer
- 3 layers of Interlux epoxy primer
- 3 layers of Interlux antifouling
- Cleaned all lockers and reorganized entire boat
- Installed new ceiling panels with new teak trim (removable for easy access to through deck fittings)
- Rebuilt port teak mast pad
- Varnished the following with 7 coats of Epifanes:
- Rub rails, handrails, companionway, doors, and steering wheel
- Varnished Interior touch-ups using Helmsman stain varnish
- Name and home port professionally made and installed
- 2 layers of Semco and 4 layers of varnish on cockpit grates, bow teak and stern teak planks
- 2 layers of Semco on teak deck
- Remove the starboard diesel tank as it is no longer functioning, replace or use space for storage (if we haven’t done so yet).
- Connect solar panels to MidNite MPPT solar charger (if we haven’t done so yet)
- Install additional Lifeline GPL-4DL AGM battery (if we haven’t done so yet)
- Install new Lowrance depth sounder and fish finder to replace older Hummingbird fishfinder (if we haven’t done so yet)
Nov 29, 23 08:35 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Nov 10, 23 02:34 AM
My 47' Cheoy Lee sailboat is for sale. Designed by Bill Luders, she is a beautiful and functional liveaboard cruising yacht.
Oct 30, 23 04:22 PM
This article explores the journey of chartering a sailing yacht, from the initial planning stages to the final touches. It provides insight into the joys and challenges of embarking on a voyage of dis…