The Island Packet 465, a heavy-displacement cutter, was designed by Bob Johnson and built in the USA by Island Packet Yachts.
Underwater Profile: Long keel with rudder on skeg
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 48'9" (14.9m)
Waterline Length: 38'1" (11.6m)
Beam: 14'4" (4.4m)
Draft: 5'0" (11.6m)
Rig Type: Cutter
Displacement: 34,500lb (15,649kg)
Designer: Bob Johnson
Builder: Island Packet Yachts (USA)
Year First Built: 2008
'Wind Chime', an Island Packet 465 for Sale
Although 'Wind Chime' is no longer available, the excellent pics and informative text are retained here for the benefit of anyone researching this highly-regarded cruising yacht.
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 13.7
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 34.8
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 279
4. Comfort Ratio: 37.3
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 13.7 suggests that the Island Packet 465 will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 34.8 means that a sailboat like the Island Packet 465 (which doesn't have a stiffness-enhancing bulb keel), is likely to benefit from being reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 279, tells us the Island Packet 465 is a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but she'll come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 37.3 suggests that crew comfort of an Island Packet 465 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 indicates that a Island Packet 465 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM