The Nordica 20 Sailboat
The remarkable little boat, the Nordica 20, has made ocean crossings and successfully handled some severe storms.
The diminutive 'Godot' at the Tamar River Sailing Club (Plymouth UK) after having successfully completed the 2016 Jester Azores Challenge, a voyage of 1,500 miles each way.
The Halman 20 is a development of the Nordica 20, as is the Halman 21 which is similar but sports a bowsprit.
Published Specification for the Nordica 20
Underwater Profile: Long keel & transon-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 19' 6" / 5.9m
Waterline Length: 16' 6" / 5.0m
Beam: 7' 8" / 2.34m
Draft: 3' 0" / 0.9m
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
Displacement: 2,500lb / 1,134kg
Builder: Nordica Yachts (Canada)
Year First Built: 1975
Year Last Built: ?
Number Built: ?
Owners Association: ?
Published Design Ratios for the Nordica 20
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.3
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 40.5
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 250
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 14.8
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 2.3
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Nordica 20
- She's a reasonably good performer under sail;
- She's stiffer than most other vessels in her class;
- She's in the moderate displacement category;
- Crew comfort in a seaway is commensurate with that of a lightweight racing boat, owing to her very small size;
- She's less suited for ocean passages than most other similar vessels in her class;
Sailboats in the Nordica range include:
Used Nordica 20s for Sale...
Are there any used xxxxxxxxs or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
Sep 27, 22 03:14 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?