The A-Z of Seafaring Words and Other Nautical Jargon

Are you confused by seafaring words, or is it like a foreign language?

For instance, would you know if your baggywrinkle was up to scratch or your bobstay needed a dolphin striker?

No? Then you'd better take a look at this glossary of nautical terms...

From Topsides to Yawl...

Topsides ~ Sides of the boat between the waterline and the deck.

Track ~ (1) The course a boat has made good. (2) A fitting (or integral slot) on the mast or boom into which the slides on a sail fit. (3) A fitting along which a traveller runs, used to control and tension the sheets.

Trampoline ~ The netting or fabric spanning the gap between the beams and/or hulls on the forward part of a multihull.

Transit ~ two fixed objects seen in line give a transit. Two transits give a position fix.

Transom ~ The transverse flat section that forms the stern-most part of a boat’s hull.

Traveller ~ (1) A fitting which slides in a track and is used to alter the lead of a sheet to the clew of a sail.

Triatic Stay ~ A back stay lead from one masthead to another, often fitted with insulators and used as a long-range radio antenna.

Trim, to ~ To adjust the angle of the sails to the wind by means of the sheets to optimise their efficiency.

Trimaran ~ A sailboat or any vessel with three hulls.

With no accommodation in the outside hulls, they're not as spacious below as a catamaran. 

But these light displacement sailboats are quick - very quick!

Trim Tabs ~ Adjustable horizontal plates on the stern of a power boat which help control trim.

Trolling Line ~ A fishing handline streamed astern.

True Wind ~ The direction of the wind as felt at anchor or stationary.

Tumblehome ~ A unique seafaring word used to describe the section of a boat’s hull that curves upwards and inwards towards the centreline.

Turnbuckle ~ A rigging screw for adjusting the tension in standing rigging.


Under Way ~ A boat is underway when she is not tied up ashore, on a mooring, at anchor or aground.

Uphaul ~ A line used to raise something vertically – the spinnaker pole for example.


Vang ~ A tackle or other device between the mast and boom intended to hold the boom down, thereby controlling mainsail leech tension. See also 'kicking strap' or 'kicker'.

Veer ~ (1) To pay out anchor cable. (2) When the wind backs, it has changed its direction anti-clockwise.


Wake ~ The trail of disturbed water left astern of a moving boat.

Warp ~ A rope used for anchoring or mooring.

Washboards ~ The boards that slot into place at the end of the companionway protecting the boat’s interior from a flooded cockpit and uninvited guests.

They're usually made from plywood, solid teak or fibreglass.

Waterline ~ The line along the hull at which a boat floats.

Waterline Length ~ Often abbreviated to WL, the length of a boat from stem to stern at the waterline; a key factor in the the maximum hull speed that the boat can achieve in displacement mode.

Wear Ship, or Wearing Ship ~ An alternative to tacking, in which a vessel is gybed right the way around until the wind is on the other side of the bow. It was a necessary technique for old sailing vessels that were unable to tack through the wind, and was so called because of the 'wear and tear'often caused during the manouvre.

Weather (side) ~ The side onto which the wind blows.

Weather Helm ~ The tendency of a sailboat to come up head to wind.

Weigh Anchor ~ To raise the anchor, as in ‘Anchor’s aweigh!’

Wetted Surface Area ~ The area of the immersed portion of the hull.  

Whisker Pole ~ A pole use to hold the clew of a headsail outboard when running downwind.

Widdershins ~ An old seafaring word which means to travel in a direction contrary to that of the sun.

Winch ~ A mechanical device - a geared drum – around which a rope (usually a sail or spar control line) is wound which then may be tensioned with a winch handle.

Windage ~ The amount by which a vessel is affected by wind. Also those parts of a boat that contribute to air drag, e.g. rigging, spars, superstructure etc.

Windlass ~ A mechanical device for hauling up the anchor. Can be electrical, hydraulic or manual.

Windward ~ Towards the direction from which the wind blows.

Windward Berth ~ A berth that a boat tends to be blown away from.

Wing and Wing ~ Sailing downwind with the foresail and mainsail set on opposite sides of the boat.

Also known as sailing 'goose winged', 'gull winged' or 'butterflying'.

Sailing wing-and-wing. or goose-winged.The jibe preventer is an essential safety measure in this rig configuration.

Wing Mast ~ A mast elongated in the fore-and-aft direction forming a vertical rigid aerofoil, and which is capable of rotation.


Sorry, no X's...


Yaw ~ To veer continually from one side of the course to the other.

Yawl ~ A two-masted sailing vessel whose mizzen is stepped abaft the sternpost.


and no Z's either.

Which is a shame, as we've now run out of Seafaring Words.

Unless you know differently, of course?

Recent Articles

  1. Used Sailing Equipment For Sale

    Nov 29, 23 08:35 AM

    Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!

    Read More

  2. 'Revelia' my Cheoy Lee sailboat for sale

    Nov 10, 23 02:34 AM

    My 47' Cheoy Lee sailboat is for sale. Designed by Bill Luders, she is a beautiful and functional liveaboard cruising yacht.

    Read More

  3. Chartering a Sailing Yacht

    Oct 30, 23 04:22 PM

    This article explores the journey of chartering a sailing yacht, from the initial planning stages to the final touches. It provides insight into the joys and challenges of embarking on a voyage of dis…

    Read More