The Malo 45 Sailboat
Specs & Key Performance Indicators
The Malo 45, an aft cockpit sloop, was designed by Leif Ängermark and built in Sweden by Malö Yachts.
Published Specification for the Malo 45
Underwater Configuration: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 46'7" (14.2m)
Waterline Length: 39'0" (11.9m)
Beam: 13'6" (4.1m)
Draft: 6'10" (2.1m)
Rig Type: Masthead sloop
Displacement: 31,085lb (14,100kg)
Designer: Leif Ängermark
Builder: Malö Yachts (Sweden)
Year First Built: 2000
Published Design Ratios for the Malo 45
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.1
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 39.0
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 234
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 36.3
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Malo 45
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.1 suggests that the Malo 45 will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 39.0 means that the Malo 45 will have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and she'll need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 234, tells us the Malo 45 is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 36.3 suggests that crew comfort of a Malo 45 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.7 tells us that a Malo 45 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Other sailboats in the Malo range include:
Sep 27, 22 03:14 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?