The S2 11.0C, a centre-cockpit sloop, was designed by Arthur Edmunds and built in the USA by S2 Yachts.
The vessel shown above and described here is the centre-cockpit 11.0C version. There's also an aft-cockpit version known as the 11.0A.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel with skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fiberglass)
Length Overall: 36'0" (11.00m)
Waterline Length: 28'3" (8.6m)
Beam: 11'11" (3.6m)
Draft: 5'6" (1.7m) deep draft version; 4'6" (1.4m) shoal draft version
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
Displacement: 15,000lb (6,804kg)
Designer: Arthur Edmunds
Builder: S2 Yachts (USA)
Year First Built: 1980
Year Last Built: 1987
Number Built: 66
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 15.8
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 37.5
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 317
4. Comfort Ratio: 29.9
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.9
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 15.8 suggests that the S2 11.0C will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 37.5 means that unless the bulk of the ballast is concentrated in a bulb at the foot of her keel, the S2 11.0C will have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and she'll need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 317, tells us the S2 11.0C is clearly a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but she'll come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 29.9 suggests that crew comfort of a S2 11.0C in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.9 tells us that a S2 11.0C would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM