The Varne 27 Sailboat
The Varne 27, designed by Duncan Stewart and built in the UK by Varne Marine Ltd is a good performer under sail.
A masthead-rigged Varne 27 close hauled in light conditions.
One owner says:
"The Varne 27 is an old school classic in the mould of the Nicholsons, Contessas and Rustlers of her day. She is fast and formidable in a good blow while remaining impeccably mannered. Her motion at sea is supremely smooth, as you'd expect from a deep-veed hull with long overhangs, and she is built to withstand a storm at sea with little consequence"
Published Specification for the Varne 27
Hull Type: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
Length Overall: 27' 9" / 8.5m
Waterline Length: 21' 0" / 6.4m
Beam: 9' 0" / 2.74m
Draft: 4' 3" / 1.3m
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
Displacement: 6,200lb / 2,812kg
Designer: Duncan Stuart
Builder: Varne Marine Ltd (UK)
Year First Built: 1974
Year Last Built: ?
Number Built: 70
Owners Association: Varne Owners Association
Many thanks to Phil Eccleston for submitting this photograph of his yacht.
Published Design Ratios for the Varne 27
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.4
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 41.9
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
Displacement/Length Ratio: 299
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
Comfort Ratio: 22.3
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of Published Design Ratios for the Varne 27
- She's a reasonably good performer under sail;
- She's stiffer than most other vessels in her class;
- She's in the heavy displacement category;
- Crew comfort in a seaway is commensurate with that of a coastal cruiser;
- She's less suited for ocean passages than most other similar vessels in her class.
Sailboats in the Varne range include:
Sailboats designed by Duncan Stuart include:
Used Varne 27s for Sale...
Are there any used Varne 27s or similar sailboats advertised for sale on Sailboat-Cruising.com?
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
'Exhibit A', a Hunter 356 is in great condition, having had many recent upgrades, and is ready for her new owner to step aboard and sail away
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
The true cost of boat ownership will almost certainly be more than what you originally thought it might be; the components of cost are...
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!