The Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon was designed by Ed Dubois and built in France by Henri Wauquiez (Chantier).
Underwater Configuration: Fin keel & spade rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 48'10" (14.9m)
Waterline Length: 41'0" (12.5m)
Beam: 14'9" (4.5m)
Draft: 7'1" (2.2m)
Rig Type: Masthead sloop
Displacement: 37,478lb (17,000kg)
Designer: Ed Dubois
Builder: Wauquiez (France)
Year First Built: 1997
Year Last Built: 2002
Number Built: 22
Owners Association: Wauquiez Owners Info
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.3
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 29.4
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 243
4. Comfort Ratio: 37.0
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.3 suggests that the Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 29.4 would usually mean that the Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon would have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
However, as she has much of her ballast concentrated in a bulb at the foot of the keel, she's likely to be considerably stiffer than her published Ballast/Displacement Ratio might suggest.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 243, tells us the Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 37.0 suggests that crew comfort of a Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 tells us that a Wauquiez 48 Pilot Saloon would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Mar 31, 23 08:51 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:54 AM
Mar 28, 23 05:33 AM