'Second Spray', an Island Packet 40 Sailboat for Sale
SORRY, NOW SOLD!
For more boats like this one that are currently for sale please go to
Cruising Sailboats for Sale...
Although this boat is no longer available, the pics and text are retained here for the benefit of anyone researching this particular make/model of sailboat.
Our Island Packet 40, 'Second Spray', offers all the amenities and equipment for a comfortable life afloat. She is currently located in Grenada, West Indies.
'Second Spray', an Island Packet 40 making great progress reaching towards her Caribbean destination under full sail
Her storage and tankage are more than adequate for spending days on end in remote anchorages or circumnavigating. She’s been upgraded to live off the grid in comfort indefinitely through solar panels, a watermaker and a Honda generator together with well-designed and tested supportive power systems.
Second Spray's 3-cabin layout
We bought her in 2010, refitted her over 3 years for cruising in the Caribbean. In November 2013 we set sail for Sint Maarten. For 8+ years we’ve annually gone up & down the island chain, spending hurricane season in Grenada.
As full time liveaboards, summer months were spent on annual to do’s (waxing, varnishing, polishing, servicing equipment & installing upgrades).
Second Spray at anchor at Port Egmont, West Indies
We have had many adventures, fabulous sailing days and met wonderful friends from all walks of life & countries around the world. We’ve encountered pretty robust conditions and never had to worry that we were safe. We knew our Island Packet 40 could easily handle whatever came our way. Built in 1995, she’s as beautiful as ever. A tribute to Bob Johnson and his team both in design and execution of building a solid bluewater cruiser.
Island Packet 40 Dimensions
- LOA: 41'6"
- Beam: 12'11"
- LOD: 39'4"
- LWL: 34'0"
- Maximum Draft: 4'8"
- Displacement: 22800 lbs
- Ballast: 10000 lbs
- Headroom: 6'5"
- Dry Weight: 22,800 lbs
- Engine Brand: Yanmar
- Year Built: 1995
- Engine Model: 4JH2E
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
- Propeller: Autoprop 3 blade feathering
- Drive Type: Direct Drive
- Engine Power: 50 HP
- Engine Hours: 7,125
Two 250 Watt Sun Power X20 series solar panels & Eclectec D400 Wind Generator provide off-grid liveaboard capability
Island Packet 40 Specifications
- Designer: Robert K. Johnson
- Keel: Full Foil with skeg-hung rudder
- Fresh Water Tanks: 170 US gal
- Fuel Tanks: 90 US gal
- Holding Tanks: 30 US gal
- Cruising Speed: 6.5-7.0 knots
- Hull Speed: 8 knots
- Number of double berths: 2
- Number of cabins: 3
- Number of heads: 2
Salon showing galley and navigation station looking forward. Note dining table stows against bulkhead when not in use
Her aluminum drinking water tanks are in excellent condition having had very limited exposure to chlorinated water owing to her cruising grounds. Her chainplates & headstay bolts, standing rigging, lifelines & stanchions were replaced in 2012 in Bermuda.
Since that time multiple & recent upgrades have been carried out:
- New Raymarine Evolution autopilot;
- New dinghy hoist, reefing, spinnaker pole lines;
- New Dow Filmtec membrane for Spectra watermaker;
Spectra Cape Horn Extreme Watermaker installation
- New LG 24” LED HDTV;
- New Napa start-up battery;
- Fresh polyurethane on walls and cabinetry below decks;
- August haul out enabled new Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint (hard, black) 3 coats with 4 on the rudder, new Bird cutlass bearing done, Autoprop greased and polished, new boot-stripe done with Interlux Brightsides (Grand Banks Beige), new zincs, hull waxed;
- Cabin and cockpit given two coats of wax;
- Toerails received 3 coats of Semco sealer;
All other exterior teak (grabrails, eyebrow, coaming, binnacle fiddles, cockpit table, outboard mount, doghouse, companionway) received a minimum of 2 coats of Epifanes Clear Gloss Varnish with Extra UV Filter.
- New foredeck awning made with Weathermax 80 (oyster) sewn with Tenara thread;
- New grabrail covers done with Weathermax80 (oyster) sewn with Tenara thread.
- Caribe C9X Hypalon fiberglass bow locker style dinghy (2015) with Sunbrella chaps done with Tenara thread (2019);
- Spectra Cape Horn Extreme Water maker pumps both replaced;
- New battery bank of 4 Trojan T105 wet cells;
New Raymarine Axiom 9” wifi chartplotter at helm
- Deck non-skid reconditioned with gelcoat;
- New Dodger, Bimini, Connector panel done in Seamark fabric with dodger window & connector covers in Sunbrella marine. Complete with cockpit clear & shade panels; all sewn with Tenara;
- Tube framing redone to attach to 1” solid tubing surrounding cockpit done (2016) with added reinforcement for SunPower solar panels;
- New VFH at navigation station with Standard Horizon Explorer GPS GX1800 with new remote RAM4 MIC at helm;
- Refinished teak and holly cabin sole.
- 7 Lewmar hatches fitted with Oceanair screen/shade rollers (2010). Shade/screen roller parts replaced from 2019 to 2021;
Custom upholstery 5" thick seat foam cushions in Ultrasuede, new in 2014. Slipcovers Sunbrella Dupione, new in 2020
- Cabinet added in back berth under cockpit coaming;
- Sunbrella/webbing hanging locker for cushion, enclosure storage (2012);
- Port hole screens (13) new 2019;
- Port hole “Peek-a-Boo” shades for sun and privacy;
- Weems and Plath brass ships clock & barometer;
- Interior lights LED + added hardwired LED hanging light at galley sink;
- 5 cabin fans 2 are Sirocco II (2020);
- 3 hanging lockers have added removable shelving;
- Top shelves have been added to all the storage compartments behind settee compartments;
LG 24" flat screen LD HDTV (2021) & Bose speaker, 200watt inverter
- Fusion 3 zone stereo system DVD/CD/AM/FM/ Sirius capable, IPOD dock, 4 Fusion speakers;
- Companionway has teak boards, plexiglass doors & stainless-steel grates with bug screen;
- 2 heads, one manual toilet, one composting, both with shower;
Second Spray has two head compartments, both with showers
- Nav station has chart desk, ready access to electrical panel, a vinyl blotter affixed, RAM mount, IPad Pro 12.9” tablet holder;
- (3) BlueSea Fast Charge Dual USB chargers 12v socket mount (2019), 3 standard 12v socket;
- Dyson cordless rechargeable vacuum full accessory set;
- Double Pullman master berth;
- Gimballed 3 Burner Princess Propane stove/oven, broiler (2013) new burner parts, igniter (2021);
Galley with double sink unit, 3-burner stove and oven, fridge and freezer - and a contented ship's cat!
- Two 10 lb propane tanks (1 new 2020), LPG regulator (2018) & 8.5lb tank on stern;
- Spectra Cape Horn Extreme 15 GPH water maker (2013). 2 new Clark pumps (2019), new membrane (2021);
- 2011 refrigeration completely redone;
Instrument & Electronic Upgrades:
- ACR GlobalFix V4 Cat 2 (new 2019);
- Raymarine Axiom (9”) chart plotter (2021);
- Raymarine 18” Digital Radome radar (2013);
- (2) Dynaplates;
- Vesper Class B AIS (2019);
- Raymarine Evolution Autopilot (2021);
- Autohelm i40 depth/speed display (2015);
- Raymarine ST50+ Bidata wind display, Raymarine ST60+ Graphic (2012);
- Icom 710RT SSB & antenna tuner (1999);
- Ritchie Globe Master compass (1995);
- Standard Horizon Explorer GX1850 with SH RAM 4 mic (2019).
- 110 volt & 12 volt systems;
- 4 Trojan T105 deep cycle 225 Ah 6 volt (2019);
- Starter battery Napa Legend 800 (2021);
- (Alternator) Balmar 100 amp (2013);
- Balmar Max Charge MC614 multistage (2021);
- (2) 250 watt Sun Power solar panels (2014);
- Eclectec D400 wind generator (2014);
- Eclectec LVM Regulator (2021);
- Outback Power Flexnet – DC system monitor (2012);
- Outback Power HUB4 Communications manager (2012);
- Outback Power FLEXmax 60 MPPT solar Charge Control (2012);
- Honda EU2000i portable generator (2018);
- 50ft 30 amp shore power cable.
Sails & Rigging Upgrades:
- Mainsail – fully battened, inspected 2019 & rated good condition;
Schaefer roller furlers for genoa & staysail
- Doyle Sails design stack pack & lazy-jack system;
- Doyle Sails Genoa 120% & staysail (2015);
- 6 Ocean Series Lewmar winches – 4 are self-tailing 2 speed;
- Tides Marine Sailtrack (2018);
- Quik-Vang Rigid boom vang model C24;
- TS-300-GP non-telescoping spinnaker pole;
- Boom preventer;
- All lines lead to the cockpit for superior safety & easily handled by single hander/couple. The StackPack with lazyjacks makes for ease of deployment & stowing. Staysail boom is removed.
Deck & Hull Upgrades:
- Lifelines removed aft of cockpit with 1” stainless tubing top and bottom in place, putting bimini supports out to top tube freeing up coaming (2016);
- Mantus USB rechargeable rail mount cockpit light;
- Kato Island model davits (2015);
- Stainless steel telescoping ladder;
- Helm seat 5” &seat back in Phifertex Sling (2014);
- Leather suede on wheel (2019);
...and some fancy cockpit lighting!
- Teak and stainless outboard railmount;
- Outboard hoist block and tackle system;
- 4 cockpit cushions 3” thick DryFast foam in Phifertex (2014);
- LED spreader lights (2012);
- Johnson washdown pump;
- Rule 3700 electric bilge pump;
- Whale Gusher Urchin 1” manual bilge pump;
- Whale Gulper 220 3.7 gpm shower/sump pump (2012);
- All thru-hulls and seacocks are bronze with flanged ball valves.
Lofrans X3 vertical windlass with 8 mm gypsy installed 2019
- Primary Rocna 55 lb anchor (2011) with 225’ 8 mm D8 chain (2019);
- Secondary anchor Fortress FX23 15 lb with 260’ mix chain/nylon rode;
- Stern anchor Guardian Fortress G16 with rode (2019).
Engine & Mechanical Upgrades:
50 HP 4JH2E Yanmar engine - accessible from all four sides - has 7,125 hours on it as of December 27 2021
- All hoses, clamps on Yanmar 4JH2E replaced within last 4 years;
- Bird cutlass bearing, zincs replaced in 2021;
- Repacked stuffing box (2021);
- Electric Walbro FRB-13 Industrial & Marine fuel pump (2018);
- 3 Blade Autoprop feathering propeller, shark line cutter.
Dinghy & Outboard:
9’1” Caribe C9X bow locker RIB (2015) purchased 2019, chaps sewn Tenara thread together with 9.8 hp Tohatsu outboard (2015)
Sep 27, 22 03:14 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?