The Etap 38i, an aft-cockpit masthead sloop, was designed by Mortain & Mavrikios and built in Belgium by Etap Yachting.
Underwater Profile: Wing Keel & Spade Rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 38'0" (11.6m)
Waterline Length: 32'0" (9.7m)
Beam: 12'9" (3.9m)
Draft: 5'1" (1.6m)
Rig Type: Masthead sloop
Displacement: 14,120lb (6,405kg)
Designer: Mortain & Mavrikios
Builder: Etap Yachting (Belgium)
Year First Built: 1989
Year Last Built: 1997
Number Built: 95
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.5
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 34.4
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 193
4. Comfort Ratio: 21.9
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.1
read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.5 suggests that the Etap 38i will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 34.4 would usually mean that the Etap 38i would have a tendency to heel uncomfortably in a gust, and need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
However, as she has much of her ballast concentrated in her wing keel, she's likely to be considerably stiffer than her published Ballast/Displacement Ratio might suggest.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 193, tells us the Etap 38i is a light-to-moderate displacement sailboat. If she's loaded with too much heavy cruising gear her performance will suffer to a degree.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 21.9 suggests that crew comfort of a Etap 38i in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula of 2.1 tells us that a Etap 38i would not be a good choice of sailboat for ocean passage-making, owing to the increased risk of capsize in strong winds and heavy seas when compared to a sailboat with a CSF of less than 2.0.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM