The Freedom 44 Cat Ketch Sailboat
Specs & Key Performance Indicators
The Freedom 44 Cat Ketch was designed by Halsey Herreshoff & Gary Hoyt and built in the USA by Tillotson Pearson Inc.
The Freedom 44 Cat Ketch
Published Specification for the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch
Underwater Profile: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 44'0" (13.4m)
Waterline Length: 39'6" (12.0m)
Beam: 12'0" (3.7m)
Draft: 6'0" (1.8m)
Rig Type: Unstayed cat ketch
Displacement: 24,000lb (10,886kg)
Designer: Halsey Herreshoff & Gary Hoyt
Builder: Tillotson Pearson Inc (USA)
Year First Built: 1981
Published Design Ratios for the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 19.3
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 29.2
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 174
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 33.2
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 19.3 suggests that the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 29.2 means that a sailboat like the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch (which doesn't have a stiffness-enhancing bulb keel), is likely to benefit from being reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 174, tells us the Freedom 44 Cat Ketch is a light displacement sailboat. If she's loaded with too much heavy cruising gear her performance will suffer to a degree.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 33.2 suggests that crew comfort of a Freedom 44 Cat Ketch in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.7 indicates that a Freedom 44 Cat Ketch would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
May 16, 22 04:32 AM
Interested in the Etap 32i sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 15, 22 10:55 AM
Interested in the X-332 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...
May 14, 22 06:47 AM
Interested in the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 sailboat? Here are the pics, specs and performance predictions you're looking for...