The SHE 31 Sailboat
Specs & Key Performance Indicators
The SHE 31, a heavy displacement sloop, was designed by Sparkman & Stephens and built in the UK by South Hants Engineering Ltd (hence 'SHE').
The SHE 31
Published Specification for the SHE 31
Underwater Profile: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 30'4" (9.2m)
Waterline Length: 22'0" (6.7m)
Beam: 8'10" (2.7m)
Draft: 5'5" (1.7m)
Rig Type: Masthead sloop
Displacement: 7,800lb (3,538kg)
Ballast: 3,400lb (1,542kg)
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens
Builder: South Hants Engineering Ltd (UK)
Year First Built: 1969
Published Design Ratios for the SHE 31
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.7
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 43.6
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 327
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 27.0
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
Read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the SHE 31
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.7 suggests that the SHE 31 will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 43.6 means that the SHE 31 will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 327, tells us the SHE 31 is clearly a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but she'll come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 27.0 suggests that crew comfort of a SHE 31 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not the best of news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 indicates that a SHE 31 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Jan 21, 23 01:37 PM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Jan 21, 23 08:28 AM
The Hustler 35 sailboat is a hugely capable classic offshore cruiser. My 'Sea Wraith' has recently had an extensive mechanical and equipment refurbishment to ensure she is absolutely ready to take on…
Jan 11, 23 09:07 AM
Large, well-equipped cruising yachts of this size can cross oceans in relative comfort and speed, but you'll need deep pockets to operate and maintain them.