'Morning Series', an S&S 34 Classic Sailboat for Sale
SORRY, NOW SOLD!
For more boats like this one that are currently for sale please go to
Cruising Sailboats for Sale...
Although this boat is no longer available, the pics and text are retained here for the benefit of anyone researching this particular make/model of sailboat.
This classic sailboat, having had an extensive refit in 2011 and constantly maintained since, is ready to sail around the world.
'Morning Series', a classic S&S 34 sailboat under full sail.
Italian flagged, she is currently located in Marina di Ravenna, RA, Italy.
'Morning Series' is a stunning classic GRP sloop, designed by the legendary Olin Stephens in 1969, and built in 1971 by the Aquafibre International shipyard in Norwich (UK) in about 150 units.
The Sparkman & Stephens 34 is probably the longest-running project as well as one of the most successful and winning in the history of yacht design: just think that the model is still in production today in Australia, after more than 50 years from launch, and with several hundred units produced, many of which are still sailing around the world.
'Morning Series', while retaining her original look and “flavor”, has been the subject of continuous maintenance and updates by each of her owners; which allows her, at the age of 50, to still be in perfect shape, ready to sail, without limits, in total safety and comfort, capable of arousing the admiration of all those who love the unmistakable classic lines and the timeless beauty of the mythical projects of Sparkman & Stephens.
Sparkman & Stephen's classic underwater 'fin & skeg' profile
Published Specification for the S&S 34:
- Hull Type: Fin keel & Skeg-Hung Rudder;
- Hull Material: GRP;
- Length Overall: 33'5" / 10.2m;
- Waterline Length: 24'2" / 7.4m;
- Beam: 10'1" / 3.1m;
- Draft: 5'9" / 1.8m;
- Rig Type: Masthead sloop;
- Displacement: 9,195lb / 4,171kg;
- Designer: Sparkman & Stephens;
- Builder: Aquafibre (UK);
- Year First Built: 1968
Published Design Ratios for the S&S 34:
- Sail Area/Displacement: 16.5
- Ballast/Displacement: 58.7
- Displacement/Length: 291
- Comfort Ratio: 24.3
- Capsize Screening Formula: 1.9
Sailboat-Cruising.com asks; "Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat?"
The S&S 34 is also the choice for lone sailors, boasting to its credit (like no other project in the world) dozens and dozens of long voyages and circumnavigations around the world: in fact, it is very docile and easy to steer, with extraordinary course stability, a straightening moment among the greatest ever recorded and a magnificent organization of spaces, maneuvers, equipment.
As a perfect upwind machine, with its generous "classic" sail plan, rig overhead, 150% full genoa, it shows a fantastic passage on the wave, even if it is steep and formed.
The Anglo-Saxons, not by chance and despite her small size, unreservedly count her among the “blue water” boats, that is to say the boats from great oceanic depths.
Engine & Sterngear
Yanmar 3GM30 engine installation
MaxProp 2-bladed feathering propellor for reduced drag under sail
- Engine: Yanmar 3GM30 indirectly cooled (completely renewed 0 hours in 2018)
- Power: 30 Hp
- Work hours: less than 200
- Transmission: shaft line with Volvo headset (2020)
- Propeller: Max Prop 2 blades
Interior and Comfort
The welcoming saloon
The compact but practical head
- Cabins: 1
- Sleeps: 6
- Bathrooms: 1
- Original interior in teak and Formica
- Original teak floor with maple profiles
- Light interior cushions
- Electric refrigerator in the cockpit
- Kitchen with 2-burner tilting stove
- 2 AGM Deka (USA) service batteries 110 A / h (year 2011) / 1 Optima engine starter battery 50 A / h (2017)
- Water tank 180 liters
- 75 liter diesel tank
The navigation station
Galley with 2-burner gimballed stove, fridge and sink
Instruments and Electronics
Icom VHF radio installation
Raymarine and Garmin Instrumentation
- Zenith Compass (2016)
- Windex (2015)
- Eco, log, Wind Autohelm
- Autohelm 2000 autopilot with control panel
- Garmin GPSmap 521 (2011) color outdoor plotter with whole Mediterranean map
- VHF ICOM (2020) with indoor station and passive AIS
- Hi-FI system with CD, USB and jack to jack (2017), 2 internal loudspeakers and 2 external
- Quick battery charger (2016)
- Sterling Power "alternator to battery" 12V / 80A power split (2011)
- All tinned cable by Kombel/Deka (USA)
- Navigation lights: all LED technology
- Shore cable
Accessories and Safety
- Complete hull polishing 2015
- Sprayhood splash guard in Sumbrella
- Complete sun awning in Sumbrella
- External cushions in Sumbrella with closed cell padding
- 10 Kg Bruce anchor, 50 mt - 8 mm chain, 10 Kg CQR spare anchor
- LOFRANS electric windlass
- 6 mooring lines + 6 fenders
- Complete safety equipment
- Arimar Ocean 6-person raft, inspection deadline 2026
- Outboard support
- Tender Arimar 2.10 m (2017) and Evinrude 2.5 Hp outboard
Exterior and Rig
'Morning Series' underway...
- 1 spreader white painted aluminium Mast
- Spiral rigging 2010
- Bamar rigid vang
- Mechanical backstay adjuster Bamar 2015
- Furlex furler
- 4 Winches in the cockpit: 2 Harken 40 with self-tail and 2 double speed Baron
- 3 double speed Winches Baron on the mast
- Lazy bag / Lazy Jack in Sumbrella
- Spinnaker equipment
- Mainsail Full Batten Eurosail in dacron (2011) - Genoa Furling 150% Eurosail in dacron (2011)
- Spare battened mainsail and genoa 150% in dacron
- 2 Runners Spinnaker, including 1 with sock
Jan 21, 23 01:37 PM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Jan 21, 23 08:28 AM
The Hustler 35 sailboat is a hugely capable classic offshore cruiser. My 'Sea Wraith' has recently had an extensive mechanical and equipment refurbishment to ensure she is absolutely ready to take on…
Jan 11, 23 09:07 AM
Large, well-equipped cruising yachts of this size can cross oceans in relative comfort and speed, but you'll need deep pockets to operate and maintain them.