'Cloud', my Bowman 36 Sailboat is for Sale
by owner, Chris Hannant
'Cloud', my Bowman 36 sailboat is in turn-key condition, ready to cross oceans! She's currently berthed in Oriental, North Carolina, USA.
'Cloud' under full sail
But it's with very mixed emotions that we're selling our classic sailboat to upgrade to something bigger for our growing family.
A recent survey conducted in December 2022 found only one major issue - her exhaust system was outdated and corroded, so in January 2023 we had it completely replaced.
She's ready to live aboard and/or take you anywhere in the world.
'Cloud's long keel and sweet hull lines are plain to see here...
Bowman, now Rustler Yachts, is one of the highest quality yacht builders in the world.
The Bowman 36, once named "The Bentley of the Sea" is representative of the highest standards of custom yacht construction.
The term 'Bluewater' gets thrown around for just about anything that floats these days, but 'Cloud' is an ACTUAL blue water cruiser designed to cross oceans in safety and comfort.
A wide dodger and bimini keep the cockpit occupants protected from the elements...
In fact, the Bowman 36 is one of the few boats approved for the Golden Globe Race for circumnavigation. Couple that with drop dead gorgeous lines and tons of modern upgrades including an interior refit to make her more viable as a liveaboard, 'Cloud' truly has it all.
Every boat is a compromise, but she’s as close as you’ll find to the perfect balance in solid offshore performance yet still comfortable in the slip or at anchor.
The dinette converts into a double berth
In 2019 an interior refit was performed by the legendary Bayliss Boatworks where an interior cabin housing 2 pilot berths was rebuilt into a comfortable dinette which also converts into a berth.
Padded paneling was added throughout the interior and the V-berth was also completely rebuilt to accommodate two people instead of one.
All three deck hatches were replaced with brand new low-profile Vetus hatches.
Published Specification for the Bowman 36
- Underwater Profile: Long keel
- Hull Material: GRP (Fiberglass)
- Length Overall: 36'0" (11.00m)
- Waterline Length: 26'8" (8.1m)
- Beam: 11'4" (3.5m)
- Draft: 5'8" (1.7m)
- Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
- Displacement: 19,500lb (8,845kg)
- Designer: Holman & Pye
- Builder: Bowman Yachts (UK)
- Year First Built: 1970
From 2019-2022 'Cloud' underwent an extensive refit. We've put over $100,000 into bringing her back to life with a modern touch in comfort and safety features including the following upgrades and replacements:
Deck Gear Upgrades & Replacements
- Lifeline netting (2019);
- Teak benches in cockpit (2019);
- Windlass rebuilt (2020);
- 125’ 5/16 BBB chain (2020);
- Gooseneck replaced (2021);
- 200’ 3/4” nylon rope rode + pad eye in chain locker (2021);
The Salon, looking aft
Domestic Upgrades & Replacements
- All new interior cushions/upholstery including foam (2019);
- Galley refit including new sink (2019);
- Force10 2 burner stove + oven (2019);
- High strength countertop vinyl (2019);
- Compost head (2019);
- Added galley shelving (2019);
- Head sink faucet/shower (2019);
- Dometic Turbo Air Conditioner 12,000 BTU with supplies to galley/salon and directly into V-berth (2020);
- Fans in V-Berth (2021);
- Custom Dodger in strataglass + bimini + connector in Subrella fabric with 1" thick walled stainless supports (2021);
- Salon Fan (2020);
- Isotherm refrigerator/freezer (ice box conversion) (2019);
- 6 gallon Atwood water heater (2019);
- 3/4” teak ply chart table (2020);
The salon, looking forward
Electrical Upgrades & Replacements
- Entire AC Electrical system installed including all wiring, outlets, breaker panel and shore power receptacle (2019);
- Promariner ProNautic1240p battery charger (2019);
- Touch activated/dimmable interior LED lighting (2019);
- Victron Battery monitor (2019);
- Primary electric bilge pump/wiring replaced Added backup bilge pump/high water alarm Manual bilge pump replaced (2021);
- 2x Firefly G31 Batteries (2021);
- 2x Sol-Go flexible 115W Solar panels + 2x dedicated Victron smart MPPT controllers Comar AIS receiver (2021);
- Hawkeye Depth Sounder (2019);
- Waterproof USB port at helm (2020);
- Blue Seas ACR (2020);
- Raymarine Evolution autopilot + custom stainless steel tiller arm (2021);
- Galvanic Isolator (2019);
Mechanical Upgrades & Replacements
- White metal bearing replaced with Vesconite (2020);
- Stuffing box serviced (2020);
- Worm gear steering serviced + new bearings (2020);
- Engine shaft alignment (2020);
- Entire exhaust system replaced (2023);
'Cloud's Yanmar diesel engine
Plumbing Upgrades & Replacements
- Entire freshwater plumbing replaced with pex and new pumps (2019);
- Propane hose + solenoid + propane sniffer (2019);
- Fresh water filter under sink (2019);
- Several major thru hulls/seacocks replaced with Marelon (2020);
- Shower drain/pump (2020);
- All bilge pump hosing replaced (2021);
Sails and Rigging Upgrades & Replacements
- New Mainsail and 135% Genoa, plus spare main (2019);
- Selden mainsheet traveler system (2019);
- Sail bag/lazy jacks (2019);
- Forestay + Harken roller furler (2020);
- Telescoping whisker pole + topping lift (2021);
- Reinforced chain plates with larger backing plates (2021);
The Chart Table
More about the Bowman 36 (by sailboat-cruising.com)
The Bowman 36 was designed by Holman and Pye, a British naval architecture firm that also created the legendary Oyster yachts. The Bowman 36 was first launched in 1974 and was produced until 1988, with about 60 boats built.
The boat has a fiberglass hull and deck, with a long keel and a skeg-hung rudder. The rig is a masthead sloop, with a roller-furling genoa and a mainsail with lazy jacks. The cockpit is spacious with a wheel steering and an aft locker. The boat also has a bowsprit, which adds to its charm and character.
The interior of the Bowman 36 is cozy and elegant, with teak woodwork and brass fittings, and can accommodate up to six people, with two cabins and a saloon. The forward cabin has a V-berth and a hanging locker, while the aft cabin has a double berth and a seat. The saloon has two settees that can convert into berths, a folding table and a navigation station. The galley has a stove, an oven, a sink and a fridge. The head has a toilet, a sink and a shower.
The Bowman 36 is not only beautiful, but also practical and functional. The boat has ample storage space, with lockers, drawers and shelves throughout, while opening ports and hatches provide good ventilation.
The Bowman 36 is a joy to sail, with excellent performance and handling. She's stable and balanced, with good speed and maneuverability and can handle various weather conditions, from light winds to heavy seas, she's also easy to sail single-handed or with a small crew, thanks to her simple rigging and reliable systems.
She's ideal for cruising long distances or exploring remote destinations.
Note: This additional info was drafted by Dick McClary of sailboat-cruising.com using GPT-4 (OpenAI’s large-scale language-generation model) as a research assistant to develop source material.
Nov 29, 23 08:35 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Nov 10, 23 02:34 AM
My 47' Cheoy Lee sailboat is for sale. Designed by Bill Luders, she is a beautiful and functional liveaboard cruising yacht.
Oct 30, 23 04:22 PM
This article explores the journey of chartering a sailing yacht, from the initial planning stages to the final touches. It provides insight into the joys and challenges of embarking on a voyage of dis…