'Sapphire', a Mason 43 Sailboat for Sale
'Sapphire', this 1985 Mason 43 cutter is in excellent condition. High quality craftsmanship is much in evidence throughout, and she's loaded with all the cruising gear you'll need!
'Sapphire', a Mason 43 Bluewater Cruiser
There simply aren't many truly cruise-ready beauties like this on the market. Designed by Al Mason and built at the renowned Ta Shing facility, the attention to detail is evident everywhere you look.
The Mason 43 is a capable ocean-going sailboat with graceful sweeping lines, beautiful overhangs and a full keel. The large rudder provides excellent turning ability and the long keel gives tremendous directional control in all conditions. The rudder sits up four inches from the keel bottom providing a grounding safety assurance and is secured in place with a heavy bronze shoe.
The cutter rig gives you different sail configurations that will add comfort and safety in the high seas. Both headsails are mounted on Schaefer roller-furlers and lead to the cockpit for ease of use and safety.
Engine placement is below the salon sole to provide quieter running. It also provides excellent engine access and allows for a straight shaft, direct drive.
With the 3 bladed "Max-Prop" angle perpendicular to the water plane you get greater efficiency and performance.
The boat is currently located in Marina Mazatlán, Mexico, and the slip is available to pass along to the new owner if desired.
Purchasing a boat in Mexico can have some tax advantage, plus the boat is already where you want to start cruising. When buying a boat in Mexico, all of the title transfer, paperwork and funds transfers are handled in the United States by a Marine Documentation Services Company for your convenience and peace of mind.
'Sapphire' in her slip
Published Specification for the Mason 43:
- Underwater Configuration: Long fin keel with attached rudder
- Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
- Length Overall: 43'10" (13.4m)
- Waterline Length: 31'3" (9.5m)
- Beam: 12'3" (3.7m)
- Draft: 6'3" (1.9m)
- Rig Type: Cutter
- Displacement: 25,000lb (11,340kg)
- Ballast: 8,000lb (3,810kg)
- Designer: Alvin Mason
- Builder: Ta Shing Yacht Building (Taiwan)
- Built: 1978 through 1985
- Number built: 180
Published Design Ratios for the Mason 43:
- Sail Area/Displacement: 14.5
- Ballast/Displacement: 33.6
- Displacement/Length: 366
- Comfort Ratio: 39.2
- Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
Sailboat-Cruising.com asks; "Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat?"
Sapphire's Equipment, Replacement, and Repair List:
- New Shurflow water pump;
- New Navy Sunbrella Bimini and dodger;
- Eisenglass replaced in small dodger;
- New stainless steel stern box;
- Deck non-skid re-gelcoated;
- New Edson Steering Quadrant;
- New chain and cable for Edson Quad;
- Two SS pieces replaced on bow pulpit;
- New SS turnbuckle made for cutter rig;
- Sections of cockpit re-caulked;
- Storage area platform under dining settees painted bright white;
- All exterior teak sanded and 6 coats of Epifane’s exterior varnish applied;
- New 45 gallon stainless steel diesel tank installed under aft pilot berth;
- Re-galvanized 300’ of 5/8 anchor chain and 45 lb CQR;
- New Clark pump for Spectra watermaker;
- New mast step/restored mast shoe;
- Mast, boom spinnaker pole sanded Zinc chromate and painted;
- Freshly painted gold cove stripe.
The salon table can be dropped down to form a base for another double berth
- New Formica galley countertop;
- New galley sink faucet and plumbing;
- New generator exhaust hose;
- New West Systems epoxy bottom;
- 3 coats of West Systems;
- 3 coats of Petit Epoxy Primer;
- 2 coats of Petit Trinidad Bottom paint;
- Varnish on toe rail, eyebrow, shower bench and shower grate;
- All 3 teak hatches sanded & Varnished with 6 coats;
- Overhead rot repair near mast;
- New Bluetooth Stereo;
- 4 new Proline AGM batteries;
- New ICOM handheld VHF;
- New Victron 2000 watt inverter/Charger with remote;
- New starboard thru-hull.
The quarterberth on the starboard side
- New 8 gallon Isotherm water heater;
- New port side thru-hull;
- New Samsung Smart TV and Blu-Ray Player;
- New EPIRB;
- New lower end on VaccuFlush head.
The practical galley - note the mounting points for a safety strap on the crashbar
- New Starting and Running Capacitors for Grunert 110 volt refrigerator.
- 2 new Hella fans for interior.
- New Raymarine E-80 chart plotter.
- Teak cockpit re-bedded.
- New gel coat cabin sides/coach roof.
- Cabin sole stripped and re-varnished.
- Companionway stairs re-finished.
- New Gelcoat decks Gibco non-skid.
- Cabin sole refinished.
Impressive craftmanship is evident throughout 'Sapphire'
- New Yamaha 6 HP outboard engine;
- New port glass in head port installed;
- New Raymarine radar dome;
- New EPIRB;
- NewYanmar 4JH5E 53 HP engine;
- New 3” exhaust system/hose;
- New Yanmar Transmission;
- New Rule Bilge Pump;
- Viking Life Raft Serviced;
- New cockpit instrument panel.
- New mainsail stack pack;
- New companionway dodger;
- New AB 8.5 dinghy;
- Replaced Northern Lights generator Head.
The double berth cabin is on the port side
- Replaced overhead quilted panels throughout the boat with Formica;
- Re-bedded all stanchions and deck hardware with 3M 4200;
- Removed all ports sealed end grains, re-bedded with 4200;
- Replaced all port glass with new tempered glass;
- Replaced all chainplates.
- Two New fire extinguishers;
- Replaced upper and intermediate rigging.
The well-protected aft cockpit
- New interior cushions and fabric;
- Two new overhead light fixtures.
- New Force 10 3-burner stove and oven;
- 3 New Hella Fans;
- 3 New Italian light fixtures for Main salon.
- New Webasto Heating System;
- New Lee Sails fully-batten mainsail;
- New Lee Sails Genoa;
- New Northern Lights 5 KW generator;
- New EPIRB.
In addition to the above list, 'Sapphire' has many spare parts aboard .
Asking Price: $160,000 US
Interested or need more info? Contact the owner here...
Nov 23, 21 02:18 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Nov 19, 21 02:36 PM
Most mast rigging failures are the result of poor maintenance and cheap fittings. Having your mast come down is most inconvenient and highly dangerous; definitely something to be avoided at all costs
Nov 19, 21 04:43 AM
'Sapphire', our 1985 Mason 43 is an exceptional world cruising sailboat. Over the past 13 years, she has been meticulously maintained and upgraded and is now offered for sale....