The Albin Nova Sailboat
The Albin Nova, a fractional sloop, was designed by Perter Norlin and built in Sweden by Albin Marine.
The Albin Nova
Published Specification for the Albin Nova
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 33'4" / 9.9m
Waterline Length: 26'3" / 8.0m
Beam: 10'4" / 3.15m
Draft: 5'6" / 1.69m
Rig Type: Fractional sloop
Displacement: 8,157lb / 3,700kg
Designer: Peter Norlin
Builder: Albin Marine (Sweden)
Year First Built: 1981
Year Last Built: 1997
Number Built: 500
Published Design Ratios for the Albin Nova
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 19.5
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 47.3
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 202
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 19.9
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Albin Nova
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of just 19.5 suggests that the Albin Nova will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 47.3 means that the Albin Nova will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 202, tells us the Albin Nova is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 20.0 suggests that crew comfort of a Albin Nova in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 2.0 is on the cusp of suitability for an ocean passage, so venture offshore with caution.
The Albin Nova 33: A Swedish Cruiser with Style and Speed
The Albin Nova 33, a Swedish design by Peter Norlin, has been a popular choice among recreational sailors and yachting enthusiasts since its introduction in 1981. With about 500 boats built by Albin Marine and Express Production AB, the Albin Nova 33 has a loyal fan base and an active class association in Sweden.
What makes the Albin Nova 33 special?
The Albin Nova 33 is a 33-foot cruiser that can accommodate up to six people in its spacious interior. It has a double V-berth in the bow cabin, an L-shaped settee and a straight settee in the main cabin, and an aft cabin with a double berth on the starboard side. The main cabin also has a drop-leaf table for dining and socializing. The galley is located on the port side near the companionway and is equipped with a two-burner stove and a double sink. A navigation station is opposite the galley, on the starboard side. The head is located just aft of the bow cabin on the starboard side.
The Albin Nova 33 has a sleek and modern look, with a raked stem, a reverse transom, and an internally mounted spade-type rudder. It has a fractional sloop rig with aluminum spars, a keel-stepped mast, wire standing rigging and a single set of swept spreaders. The sailplan is well balanced and easy to handle, with a mainsail area of 279.89 sq ft (26.003 m2) and a jib/genoa area of 213.06 sq ft (19.794 m2). The boat can also fly a symmetrical spinnaker for downwind sailing.
The boat is powered by a Yanmar 2GM diesel engine of 15 hp (11 kW) that can provide reliable motoring when needed. The fuel tank holds 11.9 U.S. gallons (45 L) and the fresh water tank has a capacity of 23.8 U.S. gallons (90 L).
What are the pros and cons of the Albin Nova 33?
The Albin Nova 33 has many advantages that make it an attractive sailboat for cruising and racing. Some of the pros are:
- It has a solid and sturdy construction, made of fiberglass with wood trim.
- It has a spacious and comfortable interior, with plenty of storage space and ventilation.
- It has a fast and agile performance, with a hull speed of 6.87 kn (12.72 km/h) and a good sail area to displacement ratio of 19.50.
- It has a versatile design that can adapt to different sailing conditions and preferences, with options for different keels, rudders, sails and rigging.
- It has a loyal and supportive community of owners and sailors who share their experiences and knowledge.
Of course, no boat is perfect, and the Albin Nova 33 also has some drawbacks that should be considered before buying one. Some of the cons are:
- It has a relatively deep draft of 5.50 ft (1.68 m) with the standard keel, which can limit its access to shallow waters and anchorages.
- It has a relatively small cockpit for its size, which can make it crowded when sailing with more than four people.
- It has a relatively old design that may not appeal to some modern sailors who prefer more contemporary features and styles.
- It may require some maintenance and upgrades over time, as some parts and systems may be outdated or worn out.
Who is the Albin Nova 33 for?
The Albin Nova 33 is ideal for sailors who enjoy cruising and racing in style and comfort. It is suitable for inshore and coastal sailing, as well as offshore or ocean voyages, depending on the equipment and preparation of the boat and crew. It can handle light winds as well as strong breezes, but it may need some help from the engine in very calm conditions. It has an easy comfortable motion at sea under sail, but it can also be lively and responsive when needed.
The Albin Nova 33 is not for sailors who prefer shallow draft boats that can explore more places or who want more space in the cockpit for socializing or relaxing. It is also not for sailors who want a very modern or minimalist boat that has less maintenance or more technology.
The Albin Nova 33 is a classic Swedish cruiser that offers comfort, performance and elegance in one package. It is a great sailboat for recreational sailors and yachting enthusiasts who want to enjoy sailing in different conditions and destinations. It has a loyal fan base and an active class association that can provide support and advice. It has some limitations and challenges, but it also has many strengths and benefits that make it a special sailboat.
This additional info was drafted by sailboat-cruising.com using GPT-4 (OpenAI’s large-scale language-generation model) as a research assistant to develop source material, and believes it to be accurate to the best of their knowledge.
Other sailboats in the Albin range include:
Nov 29, 23 08:35 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Nov 10, 23 02:34 AM
My 47' Cheoy Lee sailboat is for sale. Designed by Bill Luders, she is a beautiful and functional liveaboard cruising yacht.
Oct 30, 23 04:22 PM
This article explores the journey of chartering a sailing yacht, from the initial planning stages to the final touches. It provides insight into the joys and challenges of embarking on a voyage of dis…