The Albin Nova Sailboat
The Albin Nova, a fractional sloop, was designed by Perter Norlin and built in Sweden by Albin Marine.
The Albin Nova
Published Specification for the Albin Nova
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 33'4" / 9.9m
Waterline Length: 26'3" / 8.0m
Beam: 10'4" / 3.15m
Draft: 5'6" / 1.69m
Rig Type: Fractional sloop
Displacement: 8,157lb / 3,700kg
Designer: Perter Norlin
Builder: Albin Marine (Sweden)
Year First Built: 1981
Year Last Built: 1997
Number Built: 500
Published Design Ratios for the Albin Nova
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 19.5
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 47.3
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 202
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 19.9
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Albin Nova
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of just 19.5 suggests that the Albin Nova will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 47.3 means that the Albin Nova will stand up well to her canvas in a blow, helping her to power through the waves.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 202, tells us the Albin Nova is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 20.0 suggests that crew comfort of a Albin Nova in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 2.0 is on the cusp of suitability for an ocean passage, so venture offshore with caution.
Other sailboats in the Albin range include:
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?
Sep 16, 22 08:12 AM
'Calypso', my Van de Stadt 30 sailboat is for sale. With all lines leading back to the cockpit, she's the perfect single-handers' liveaboard cruising sailboat.