The Bowman 46 Corsair Sailboat
Specs & Key Performance Indicators
The Bowman 46 Corsair, a heavy displacement yawl, was designed by Holman & Pye Ltd and built in the UK by Bowman Ltd.
Published Specification for the Bowman 46 Corsair
Underwater Configuration: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 46'0" (14.0m)
Waterline Length: 32'0" (9.7m)
Beam: 12'11" (3.9m)
Draft: 7'0" (2.1m)
Rig Type: Yawl
Displacement: 23,500lb (10,659kg)
Designer: Holman & Pye Ltd
Builder: Bowman Ltd (UK)
Year First Built: 1972
Published Design Ratios for the Bowman 46 Corsair
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 14.1
- Less than 16 would be considered under-powered;
- 16 to 20 would indicate reasonably good performance;
- Over 20 suggests relatively high performance.
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: Not published
- Under 40: less stiff, less powerful
- Over 40: stiffer, more powerful
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 321
- Under 100: Ultralight
- 100 to 200: Light
- 200 to 275: Moderate
- 275 to 350: Heavy
- Over 350: Ultraheavy
4. Comfort Ratio: 33.3
- Under 20 indicates a lightweight racing boat
- 20 to 30 indicates a coastal cruiser
- 30 to 40 indicates a moderate offshore cruising boat
- 40 to 50 indicates a heavy offshore boat
- Over 50 indicates an extremely heavy offshore boat
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
- Under 2.0 (the lower the better): Better suited for ocean passages
- Over 2.0: Less suited for ocean passages
read more about these Key Performance Indicators...
Summary Analysis of the Design Ratios for the Bowman 46 Corsair
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of just 14.1 suggests that the Bowman 46 Corsair will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. The Ballast/Displacement Ratio of the Bowman 46 Corsair has not been made public - unless you know differently, in which case please contact us...
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 321, tells us the Bowman 46 Corsair is clearly a heavy displacement cruising boat. You can load her down with all your cruising gear and equipment and it will hardly affect her waterline. Not an ideal choice for coastal sailing, but she'll come into her own on an offshore passage in testing conditions.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 33.3 suggests that crew comfort of a Bowman 46 Corsair in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 tells us that a Bowman 46 Corsair would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Other sailboats in the Bowman range include:
Sep 20, 22 09:56 AM
If you're a fan of traditional cruising yachts, then you must take a look at 'Silver Heels', a beautiful Alajuela 38 sailboat for sale...
Sep 18, 22 08:06 AM
Looking for used sailboats for sale that are capable of crossing an ocean? These cruising yachts are already in the Caribbean, but what are the risks and benefits of buying out there?
Sep 16, 22 08:12 AM
'Calypso', my Van de Stadt 30 sailboat is for sale. With all lines leading back to the cockpit, she's the perfect single-handers' liveaboard cruising sailboat.