The Rival 36, an aft-cockpit cutter, was designed by Peter Brett and built in the UK by Rival Bowman Ltd.
Underwater Configuration: Fin keel with skeg-hung rudder. There is also a shoal draft version with a Scheel keel, and a centreboard version.
Hull Material: GRP (Fiberglass)
Length Overall: 35'10" (10.92m)
Waterline Length: 27'2" (8.3m)
Beam: 11'0" (3.4m)
Draft: 6'0" (1.8m)
Draft (Centreboard version): Max 6'9" (2.1m), Min 3'9" (1.1m)
Rig Type: Cutter
Displacement: 14,250lb / 6,464kg
Designer: Peter Brett
Builder: Rival Bowman (UK)
Year First Built: 1980
Number Built: 78
Owners Association: Rival Owners Association
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 15.7
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 39.2
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 317
4. Comfort Ratio: 30.4
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.8
read more about these all-revealing numbers...
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 15.7 suggests that the Rival 36 will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 39.2 means that unless the bulk of the ballast is concentrated in a bulb at the foot of her keel, the Rival 36 will have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and she'll need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 317, tells us the Rival 36 is firmly in the ultra-heavy displacement category. Load her up as much as you like and her performance will be hardly affected, not that it was ever startling. Few if any sailboats are built to this displacement category these days - but they remain popular with some long-distance sailors.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 30.4 suggests that crew comfort of a Rival 36 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.8 tells us that a Rival 36 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM