'Sarah', a Pearson 424 Ketch for Sale
'Sarah', my Pearson 424 ketch is bluewater-proven having completed a circumnavigation of the Atlantic, and a return trip to Bermuda. She's currently located in St. Augustine, Florida, USA.
Built in 1978, she is hull #2.
Gear and equipment includes:
- A 2008 4-cylinder Yanmar;
- A Solent Stay with staysail and storm jib;
- Aa asymmetrical spinnaker in sock;
- A Monitor Self-Steering Windvane;
- SSB Radio;
- A Feathering propellor;
- An AB aluminum bottom RIB;
- A 9.9 Mariner outboard;
- Newer winches;
This Pearson 424 ketch is offered for sale complete with lots of spare parts and tools.
Published Specification for the Pearson 424 Ketch:
- Underwater Configuration: Fin keel and skeg-hung rudder
- Hull Material: GRP (fibreglass)
- Length Overall: 42'4" (12.90m)
- Waterline Length: 33'8" (10.26m)
- Beam: 13'0" (3.96m)
- Draft: 5'3" (1.60m)
- Rig Type: Masthead ketch
- Displacement: 21,000lb / 9,525kg;
- Designer: William Shaw
- Builder: Pearson Yachts (USA)
- Year First Built: 1981
- Year Last Built: 1985
- Number Built: 225
Published Design Ratios for the Pearson 424 Ketch:
- Sail Area/Displacement: 15.3
- Ballast/Displacement: 36.4
- Displacement/Length: 246
- Comfort Ratio: 29.4
- Capsize Screening Formula: 1.81
Sailboat-Cruising.com asks; "Need some guidance with all aspects (including those mysterious but all-revealing Design Ratios) of buying a secondhand boat?"
'Sarah' is a very solid well-equipped example of a Pearson 424 ketch as you can see from the photos below. She still needs some attention but really just add-ons and custom features to make her all your own. She's priced accordingly, allowing for the needed items to make her yours.
For example, the following needs improvement:
- Sail covers and dodger are functional but could be replaced;
- Needs bottom job;
- Jib is a composite sail and not is great shape but still very useable;
- Interior cushions still functional but could use a refresh;
- Generator hasn’t been run since 2015;
- Air conditioning needs to be replaced;
- Running rigging is worn and dirty.
The saloon, looking forward
Stemhead arrangement provides for deployment of twin anchors
V-berth in the forecabin
Aft cockpit with wheel steering
'Sarah' in her slip
The companionway with double-berth on the port side
A 4-cylinder Yanmar diesel engine was fitted in 2008
The navigation station
Asking Price: $59,900 >>>>> Now contact the owner...
Nov 23, 21 02:18 AM
Here's where people with sailing equipment for sale advertise their stuff entirely free of charge. If you're looking for used sailing gear or other used boating accessories, here's where to find it!
Nov 19, 21 02:36 PM
Most mast rigging failures are the result of poor maintenance and cheap fittings. Having your mast come down is most inconvenient and highly dangerous; definitely something to be avoided at all costs
Nov 19, 21 04:43 AM
'Sapphire', our 1985 Mason 43 is an exceptional world cruising sailboat. Over the past 13 years, she has been meticulously maintained and upgraded and is now offered for sale....