The Dufour 412 'Grand Large', a light displacement fractionally rigged sloop, was designed by Umberto Felci and built in France by Dufour Yachts.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel with spade rudder
Hull Material: GRP
Length Overall: 40'6" (12.4m)
Waterline Length: 36'7" (11.2m)
Beam: 13'8" (4.2m)
Draft: 6'6" (2.0m)
Rig Type: Fractional Sloop
Displacement: 19,709lb (8,940kg)
Designer: Umberto Felci
Builder: Dufour Yachts (France)
Year First Built: 2016
Owners Association: Dufour Owners Association
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 16.8
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 29.1
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 180
4. Comfort Ratio: 24.5
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.0
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 16.8 suggests that the Dufour 412 'Grand Large' will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 29.1 would usually mean that the Dufour 412 'Grand Large' would have a tendency to heel excessively in a gust, and need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
However, as she has much of her ballast concentrated in a bulb at the foot of the keel, she's likely to be considerably stiffer than her published Ballast/Displacement Ratio might suggest.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 180, tells us the Dufour 412 'Grand Large' is clearly a light displacement sailboat. If she's loaded with too much heavy cruising gear her performance will suffer dramatically.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 24.5 suggests that crew comfort of a Dufour 412 'Grand Large' in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not encouraging news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 2.0 indicates that a Dufour 412 'Grand Large' would not be the wisest choice of sailboat for ocean passage-making owing to the lower resistance to capsize in strong winds and heavy seas that is associated with sailboats with a CSF of 2.0 and above.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM