The Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409, (a light displacement fractional sloop) was designed by Philippe Briand and built in France by Jeanneau.
Underwater Profile: Bulb-fin keel & spade rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 40'6" (12.3m)
Waterline Length: 36'1" (11.0m)
Beam: 13'1" (4.0m)
Draft: 6'10" (2.1m)
Rig Type: Fractional sloop
Displacement: 16,424lb (7,450kg)
Ballast: 4,982lb (2,260kg)
Designer: Philippe Briand
Builder: Jeanneau (France)
Year First Built: 2010
Year Last Built: 2015
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 19.2
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 30.3
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 156
4. Comfort Ratio: 22.1
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 2.1
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of 19.2 suggests that the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 will, in the right conditions, approach her maximum hull speed readily and satisfy the sailing performance expectations of most cruising sailors.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 30.3 would usually mean that the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 would have a tendency to heel uncomfortably in a gust, and need to be reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
However, as she has much of her ballast concentrated in a bulb at the foot of her keel, she's likely to be considerably stiffer than her published Ballast/Displacement Ratio might suggest.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 156 tells us the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 is a light displacement sailboat. If she's loaded with too much heavy cruising gear her performance will suffer to a degree.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 22.1 suggests that crew comfort of a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a coastal cruiser with moderate stability, which is not the best of news for anyone prone to seasickness.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula of 2.1 indicates that a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 would not be the wisest choice of sailboat for ocean passage-making owing to the lower resistance to capsize in strong winds and heavy seas associated with sailboats with a CSF of 2.0 and above.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM