The Hallberg-Rassy 41, a double-headed ketch, was designed by Olle Enderlein and built in Sweden by Hallberg-Rassy.
Underwater Profile: Fin keel & skeg-hung rudder
Hull Material: GRP (Fibreglass)
Length Overall: 41'0" (12.5m)
Waterline Length: 34'2" (10.4m)
Beam: 11'10" (3.6m)
Draft: 6'1" (1.9m)
Rig Type: Masthead ketch*
Displacement: 21,825lb (9,900kg)
Designer: Olle Enderlein
Builder: Hallberg-Rassy (Sweden)
Year First Built: 1975
Year Last Built: 1981
Number Built: 105
* Although the HR41 has two headsails, she's not a staysail ketch (aka a cutter-rigged ketch). She's 'double-headed', or 'Solent' rigged.
'Shadowmere', a Hallberg Rassy 41 Ketch for Sale
Location: The Azores
Asking Price: £65,000
1. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 15.9
2. Ballast/Displacement Ratio: 38.4
3. Displacement/Length Ratio: 244
4. Comfort Ratio: 38.6
5. Capsize Screening Formula: 1.7
1. A Sail Area/Displacement Ratio of just 15.9 suggests that the Hallberg-Rassy 41 will need a stiff breeze to get her going. In light conditions, unless you've got plenty of time on your hands, motor-sailing may be the way to go.
2. A Ballast/Displacement Ratio of 38.4 means that a sailboat like the Hallberg-Rassy 41 (which doesn't have a stiffness-enhancing bulb keel), is likely to benefit from being reefed early to keep her sailing upright in a moderate breeze.
3. A Displacement/Length Ratio of 244, tells us the Hallberg-Rassy 41 is a moderate displacement cruiser, which means she'll carry all your cruising gear without it having a dramatic effect on her performance. Most of today's sailboats intended for offshore cruising fall into this displacement category.
4. Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio of 38.6 suggests that crew comfort of a Hallberg-Rassy 41 in a seaway is similar to what you would associate with the motion of a moderate bluewater cruising boat - a predictable and acceptable motion for most seasoned sailors.
5. The Capsize Screening Formula (CSF) of 1.7 indicates that a Hallberg-Rassy 41 would be a safer choice of sailboat for an ocean passage than one with a CSF of more than 2.0.
Jun 07, 23 01:51 AM
Jun 04, 23 08:32 AM
Jun 04, 23 06:26 AM